planocat

Finally Legal To Drive My Motorhome Licensed In Texas

I had to do that in NC but when we moved to NM, DMV just took my old NC license and issued a regular operator license, told me I did not need a class A here. Sure wish all states would operate on the same channel......

Campcop.. curious as to what you mean by "had to do that". NC has exemptions for RV drivers for personal use.

I had to get a Class A (non-CDL) several years ago for my 38 ft Alpenlite 5th wheel to be legal. 28K lb total with truck. Now have an Allegro Bay @26K but plan to keep my Class A even though I don't technically need it. Have renewed it once. Can't do so on line as you can a Class C. Had to go to DMV so they could determine that I can still see! Other than standing in line no big hassle in renewing.

Big sigh of relief, passed the driving portion of the Class B today. A bunch of left turns, a bunch of right turns, park next to the curb. No backups, no parallel park. Took the written and drive portion in Marble Falls.

Washington is another of those states where it isn't necessary to have any special license to drive any size motor home. I have a Class A CDL with Passenger endorsement, so no problem, but my daughter who wants to buy a 20 passenger bus for her family of eleven kids, would have to get a Class B CDL with Passenger endorsement. The stupid Feds say that to drive ANY vehicle used for ANY purpose which is designed to carry more than 15 people requires a CDL. She could get a 45 foot MH and tow a 20,000 pound trailer with her normal drivers license, but to get a vehicle to haul around her family and 'stuff' for a long trip, she has to get a CDL. How dumb is that?

Maybe she could find a vehicle with 15 seats and pull a trailer with the gear. As to the law, more than 15 people is a lot of valuable cargo, one mistake in judgement could result in a lot of loss of life. I guess she is lucky the law isn't set at more than 11.

That is what they have now, a 15 passenger Ford 350. The trailer is an idea, but they would much rather have a single unit to contend with. Also, if they have one more, which is a possibility, then we couldn't travel with them in the same vehicle which happens now and again as it is. And of course, just having a CDL, which I have with a Passenger endorsement, doesn't make you a safer driver. I guess my point is that it is a Federal Law for you to have a CDL to drive the vehicle, but since the States set up the rules, there is a vast difference between States as to what it takes to get the CDL. The requirements in Washington State, as opposed to Washington D.C. seem ridiculous. Driving a potential 80,000 pound unit with no CDL (large MH with heavy trailer, including the 'Super C's that are really very large trucks with which you can pull up to 40,000 lbs of trailer on certain units) with just your car license, but having to pay money to go to a truck driving school to drive a 29 foot Krystal Koach that has a CVW of 14,500, makes NO sense to me, even taking into account the lives involved. There should be waivers for 'Private Coaches'.

I just took the class B non-commercial written and road exam in Livingston, Polk County . The written exam was 20 questions from chapter 14 only of the handbook-it was pretty easy. Although they informed me at the time of booking my road exam that it was going to be more difficult, involving backing up and parallel parking, my exam was literally a drive around a large block. When I pressed them again when this change would occur they said, "Sometime mid-summer."

It is what it is! Kind of like toll roads, one day and I hope in my life time, it will be one way Nation wide! Until that time we do what we must for each State.

Carl

Carl,

We are getting there. Oklahoma and Texas have reciprocal agreements for their, Pike pass and the Texas Toll tag and the one in Houston. Oklahoma has the same with Kansas. One day soon Texas and Kansas will do the same.

No tolls to Perry from Texas.

Herman

Carl,

We are getting there. Oklahoma and Texas have reciprocal agreements for their, Pike pass and the Texas Toll tag and the one in Houston. Oklahoma has the same with Kansas. One day soon Texas and Kansas will do the same.

No tolls to Perry from Texas.

Herman

Hello Herman:

I'm an Okie. I live in OKC.

Texas has all these drivers test requirements, but still have the worst drivers on the road. :) But, you do have some of the best roads. ;)

HOW is an FMCA Chapter, the Happy Oklahoma Wanders. They are a 40 year old chapter where most of their members live in either OK City or Tulsa areas. Next month, April 21st to 23rd, they will be celebrating their 40th Anniversary at the Choctaw KOA in Durant. If you would like send me your info. in a PM and I will make sure you get the information.

Herman

HOW is an FMCA Chapter, the Happy Oklahoma Wanders. They are a 40 year old chapter where most of their members live in either OK City or Tulsa areas. Next month, April 21st to 23rd, they will be celebrating their 40th Anniversary at the Choctaw KOA in Durant. If you would like send me your info. in a PM and I will make sure you get the information.

Herman

Hey, thanks Herman.

PM sent :)