Sign in to follow this  
skyking8

Tag Axles

I am considering buying a 35' Cruise Air 1997. It has a tag axle. I thought that unusual since it is a gas powered RV. I have never owned a MH with a tag axle and don't know much about them or their intended use. Is it something I should put in the positive or negative column?

Older gas rigs had low GVWR's (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings). So coach makers added a tag axle. This vintage coach will also have the older generation engine (460 if ford vs V10 or 454 vs 8.1) and less economical transmission (number of speeds and lock up features became more common in newer years.

Now, the opinion part-- I would not want that long a coach on the old-generation chassis.

Of course, at some price, it may be just what you are looking for.

Which brings up another way to approach the search-- what are your "wants" in a coach and what do you want to spend. That will give us a better idea of how to comment on choices that meet YOUR needs.

Thanks Wolfe. I am looking to replace a 40' DP that I full timed in with one that I will be doing 'recreational' trips. I've got it down to three possibles one of which is another, shorter DP. This one does have the 460 but with only 26K miles.and cosmetically is excellent. This is a buyers market so price is low. But, one gets what they pay for so any that I choose will go to an RV shop for full check out.

I understand the explanation of the tag axle. In essence, it is like the axles on a 5W. No drive, just weight distribution and balance. One of my concerns that isn't mechanical is the noise factor of the engine being up front. I got pretty spoiled with a DP.

Please expand on your opinion part. You can't hurt my feelings. I'm looking for discriminators.

35' wouldn't bother me, especially with a tag. It's when you start getting up to 37' or beyond that I think it gets scary.

We've had two gas coaches, one @ 36', the other @ 35', neither with a tag. The 36' was a '91 with the Ford 460. Performance was not an issue, although fuel economy was nothing to write home about (6 to 6.5 towing a GEO Tracker).