latinqt@comcast.net

Alaska Rally 2010

Question

22 answers to this question

Just replied to your PM, aaron.

We are definitely going to Alaska for summer of 2010. We will be visiting my Mom in Denver in the spring and would enjoy having a few others to travel with. I have been researching and collecting the information on routing and campgrounds.

Pam & Jim Coffin

05 Itasca Horizon + trailer w/car and kayaks

My husband and I just purchased a Roadtrek and will start our travel from Alaska, July 2010. I have lived in bush Alaska for 32 years. I can give you any information you need and would be interested in a Rally in Alaska. We are new at RVing. We plan to travel our home state in July and to work out the kinks. Then head out of State in August. A year to a year and a half road trip around the U.S. I'm looking for information on a list of "must haves" when taking a road trip for this length of time and maybe a list of "don't really need to have" list.

We are heading to Alaska for the summer of 2010. Plan to leave from the Albuquerque convention. Travel slowly up through Colorado, via Blackhawk, through Wyoming, and Montana. Cross into Canada at Coutts. Cross Canada and enter Alaska about June 1 on the Top of the World Highway. Spend about 3 months in Alaska with stops in Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Kenai peninsula and places in between. Leave Alaska about Sept. 1 on the Alaska highway.

Our interests are birdwatching, wildlife, geocaching, historic areas, glaciers.

If anyone would like to share information, or meet somewhere along the way, contact us at iris9 at yahoo dot com.

Iris & Glenn Scott

Austin, Tx

35' Monaco LaPalma pulling Honda CRV

My husband and I just purchased a Roadtrek and will start our travel from Alaska, July 2010. I have lived in bush Alaska for 32 years. I can give you any information you need and would be interested in a Rally in Alaska. We are new at RVing. We plan to travel our home state in July and to work out the kinks. Then head out of State in August. A year to a year and a half road trip around the U.S. I'm looking for information on a list of "must haves" when taking a road trip for this length of time and maybe a list of "don't really need to have" list.

What are your interests? Are you looking to see the wild and scenic side of things? If so, the National Parks and many other scenic sites would be of interest to you. If you are interested in art museums, it is quite a different tour. I have a background in geology, meteorology and astronomy so I love to hike up a volcano or explore lava caves. If I can visit a canyon or mine, I'm in heaven. I try never to pass up a chance to tour an astronomical observatory. You get the idea. Now, what are your interests? What kind of things do you really want to see? It might be a ranking of two or three things, perhaps civil war sites, scenery and big cities. Give us some direction and somebody will come up with suggestions.

Of course you will want to prioritize your travel with northern states in late spring, summer and fall and leave the southern states for the winter. Unless you want to do some skiing!

Since this is a side trip from the original discussion, you may want to post your question again as a separate topic where the topic title will indicate the nature of the discussion. Perhaps a title like "We're visiting the lower 48 and want suggestions for what to see."

If you are planning to head through Canada I would recommend the views on the Sea to Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler. The road has been updated for the 2010 winter Olympics and has some incredible views of islands off the coast. When you do get to Alaska I highly recommend taking a crab fishing tour. I liked it so much I bought the shirt that says, "I caught crabs in Ketichican."

Have fun!!

We are planning to leave central CA for a summer vacation in Alaska. We plan on departing here in the third week of May and reach the Fairbanks area the second week of June. (Taking it slow to see the sights.) If there is to be a rally, let us know and we'll attempt to be there to learn from all the experience you have.

Steve

08 Damon Astoria, Avalon Toad

We are not going in 2010 but we went in 2009. We have only been RVing since April 2008 and purchased a Class A in March 2009. After researching tons of books and Internet info and the fact that my wife was retiring August 1st we left Texas August 17th and spent 43 days traveling to and from Alaska. We had a fantastic time. Next time, 2011, we plan on taking about 3 months. We found that August and September proved to be the best time to go. We made no reservations in advance and never had a problem finding a campground. Roads were great, weather was great!

Check out my photos... 2257 of them :0) at: http://www.ronniesphotos.com/RV-Vacations/Alaska-2009

Ronnie

Ronnie,

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Steve

We are not going in 2010 but we went in 2009. We have only been RVing since April 2008 and purchased a Class A in March 2009. After researching tons of books and Internet info and the fact that my wife was retiring August 1st we left Texas August 17th and spent 43 days traveling to and from Alaska. We had a fantastic time. Next time, 2011, we plan on taking about 3 months. We found that August and September proved to be the best time to go. We made no reservations in advance and never had a problem finding a campground. Roads were great, weather was great!

Check out my photos... 2257 of them :0) at: http://www.ronniesphotos.com/RV-Vacations/Alaska-2009

Ronnie

We're not interested in a caravan but would be very interested in a Rally in Alaska or even an informal get together while up there. Or any where along our way for that matter. We have no definite plans yet other than leave Vancouver Island mid June by ferry to Prince Rupert, then the Cassiar Highway to the Yukon and on to Alaska.

From Alaska we will cross Canada to the East Coast, travel through eastern USA and then back to our usual routine, around November 1st crossing into Mexico for the winter. In the spring we will continue our "circumnavigation" of North America, returning home up the Pacific Coast.

Ronnie

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. What route did you take from Grand Junction to New Mexico? How was the road condition?

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. What route did you take from Grand Junction to New Mexico? How was the road condition?

Thank you! We took 70 to Vail then took turned south on 91 (Top of the Rockies Hwy) through Copper Mountain, then Hwy 24/295 on in to New Mexico. I just looked at days 39-42 as I thought I posted that info and found that I didn't... I also found that 36 photos were missing, so those are uploading now. The last 10-12 photos were shot on Hwy 91 looking North East. The distant mountains were covered with snow and the lake in front of them made what I consider almost a postcard photo! Location was 39.41462 N / 106.17390W

We have been to Alaska 3 times alone and led a group of 7 Safari Trek coaches in 2007. Will post our itinerary if anyone is interested.

Have you posted your itinerary? If so where?

We are planning to leave from Virginia for Alaska in late May. We will be spending a few days in Minnesota then heading West and North through Calgary We are relatively new at this and do not have a time table other than reservations in Denali in mid July.

beluga21@live.com