Sign in to follow this  
jmonline

Dual-Pane Windows Necessary for Cold-Weather RVing?

Years ago when we went skiing and were parked in a snow bank, I got some 1/2 inch styrofoam sheets and cut out pieces that would just fit into the window frames and the windshield (the largest glass area). It reduced my propane usage by 1/2 and the furnace would cycle and still maintain close to 70 with the outside about 0-10. I cut the stryofoam with an electric kitchen knife.

You'll either have to line your single panes as "desertdeals69" describes, or deal with a LOT of moisture.

If you have the option, get the double panes.

We had dual pane windows in our 2005 Allegro Bus which, in my opinion, is necessary for extensive cold weather camping. The only problem with dual pane windows is that in some brands of HM's, they have a tendency to lose their seal and fog up. We had several of our windows on our Bus fog and it typically costs $400-$600 to have the defective windows replaced. You might want to check out the brand you are buying to find out their history with this problem. Most manufacturers warrant the windows for 3-5 years so I'd also check on the warranty period.

PS- The front curtains pulled across the windshield will help keep the cold out of the living area of the coach. My guess is you'll also find out that the floors are cold in most MH's during "winter camping" times. A heated floor would be great so you may also want to see if the brand you buy has that feature as standard or an option. Good luck!