Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

Testing for Safe Shore Power

I have a 40-foot Holiday Rambler diesel pusher.

I bought one of the little yellow power post testers that shows if it's safe to use.

My question is: If I plug into the 120 plug and the lights show OK, does that mean the 30-amp and 50-amp are safe, or just the 120-volt ?

I have a pigtail that I can use to check the wiring through the 30-amp plug, but what about the 50-amp?

I've never had a problem, but I pretty much stay at well-maintained parks because my wife uses a walker and can't deal with uneven ground.

That would show that the 120 VAC on the hot leg being monitored is OK. Since you have two hots on 50 amp service, it will give you no information on the other leg.

So, for example both hots could be in phase (0 VAC between them instead of the proper 240 VAC), no power at all to the other hot, etc. It would show the single hot, the neutral and ground circuits are good.

You need to have a device such as a Surge Guard to determine if the power is ok. It checks several things before connecting your coach.

I guess its like which is better, Ford or Chevy. I have sold both PI and SG and they both do the job if they are working OK.

They both have failures and both are covered with warranty. I use SG without issues and I think we see a little better service from SG.

Having a living quarers horse trailer, a toyhauler, and a DP, i own both Surge Guard and Progressive Industries. I have portable models and a hardwired model.

My dislikes for the Surge Guard portable model:

1) the anti-theft device is a huge chunk of plastic that you have to buy separately

2) only had idiot lights to tell you if there was a problem (although new model has LED display)

Based on those dislikes, I bought the PI portable model. The anti-theft device was built in and the LED told me what the failure was. This device was very helpful when we were at state fairgrounds and power was unstable. It was not like I could easily find someone who could fix a pedastal or even cared there was a problem.

Now I have PI's hardwired unit for the DP and I am very happy. I have an LED display and one less thing left outside.

When you look at the Surge Guard models today, they are better than their older models since they added those displays. However, I still leaned toward PI because they had been offering models with good features for much longer. My impression was that PI put some thought into their products instead of wiring slapped into a box with 3 idiot lights.

Thanks for the suggestions but HOW COMMON ARE THESE PROBLEMS ???????

I've only been out here FTing for 8 months and as far as I can tell and from every one at the various parks I have talked to, no one has had any problems.

I would hate to go spending $$$$$$, I know it's insurance, but it seems like taking an asprin so you won't get a headache.

Larry,

A long time ago, I came across a great resource on the subject of RV electrical issues. The site is written by Mike Sokol. Here is one page from his site:

http://www.noshockzone.org/rv-electrical-safety-surge-strips/

While I have not come across improperly wired campsites, I have experienced other power issues, such as under and overpower problems. This can also cause problems.

Grab a cup of coffee and read a lesson at a time. Each lesson is very well written and builds upon the previous lesson. In the end, you will have a very good understanding of all the the types of electrical problems you can encounter.

In the end, I decided that I did not want the problems to happen to me, so I invested in a device of each of my rigs.

I have been camping with my Dad since the early 70's and he has never owned a surge device. Never had a problem. Although he recently purchased one because he didnt want to pay for the damage it could cause.