Sign in to follow this  
hopendick

Travel from Denver to Banff

Question

We will be traveling from Denver to Banff the last week of May and are looking for suggestions on routes/stops. Are considering Glacier NP and would like info on US-89 (East side) and US-93 (West side); campgrounds; steep mountain climbs.

4 answers to this question

Check " Going To The Sun Road " for information & daily pictures of snow plow progress. The road won't open until June 21st. Vehicle Max. Length--21' Width--8' Height--10'

We made this trip last year. Went from Missoula to Columbia Falls on 93. Good road. We stayed in Columbia Falls at Columbia Falls RV Park, friendly owners and very nice park with great butcher shop next door. Not too far to Glacier Park. I wouldn't recommend any type of RV on the Sun Road. They were doing a lot of work on it when we were there, long delays, and narrow.

We traveled on 93 to Canada. Small border crossing with a very short wait. Be sure you understand the rules for entering Canada, if you want an uneventful entry process.

We stayed on 93 until Hwy 1. Very few mountains until you reach the national parks outside of Banff. We actually stayed in Canmore at Spring Creek Mountain Village. Just an o.k. park. Most of what you will want to see is on or off of 93 north of Banff.

Great trip!

Thanks for the good info. We are meeting two other coaches in Banff to start a three month round trip to Alaska ending in Seattle, WA. Will start by seeing the area north of Banff to Jasper.

We made this trip last year. Went from Missoula to Columbia Falls on 93. Good road. We stayed in Columbia Falls at Columbia Falls RV Park, friendly owners and very nice park with great butcher shop next door. Not too far to Glacier Park. I wouldn't recommend any type of RV on the Sun Road. They were doing a lot of work on it when we were there, long delays, and narrow.

We traveled on 93 to Canada. Small border crossing with a very short wait. Be sure you understand the rules for entering Canada, if you want an uneventful entry process.

We stayed on 93 until Hwy 1. Very few mountains until you reach the national parks outside of Banff. We actually stayed in Canmore at Spring Creek Mountain Village. Just an o.k. park. Most of what you will want to see is on or off of 93 north of Banff.

Great trip!

Thanks for sharing your story and i really like it. Sometimes people forget to enjoy themselves when they’re bombarded with information on how to stay safe. I traveled to Canada,alberta a few summers ago and was given many rules about where I was allowed to go and when. Safety is important but so is enjoying the overall experience.

Thanks,

Prince of wales waterton hotel