jamestouchstone

Odd Tire Wear On Front Freightliner XC Chassis

Having tire cupping on outside edge of left front tire along with cupping on inside of right tire.

The alignment is OK, no knife edge or uneven wear on surface of either tire. shocks are new last year about 6,000 miles on both the tires and shocks . any ideas,???.

The coach is a 2003 American Revolution 38b with 68,000 miles. oh, the tires are Goodyear 278/80/r22.5.

From your information the items that fit, are improper
balance; worn shocks with incorrect toe or camber settings.

You might want to check the wheel bearings.

Rich.

Rich, thanks for the reply. I have a solid front axle and centermatic balancers, oil filled bearings/sealed hubs. The coach does wander a bit but there is no appearance of scuffing. I didn't think caster or camber would cause cupping of the tires on the edges only? I checked the shocks and they seem OK,nice and smooth no leakage and very stiff.

A good possibility exists of toe in being incorrect as 2 of your symptoms are indicators. The outside cupping as well as the wandering.

Light front loading on the XC chassis can also cause the wandering. Have you had a 4 corner weigh done by a reputable outfit?

FCOC members (a chapter of FMCA)normally have that available at their rallies with good information available as to what problems incorrect weights can cause.

Tire pressures need to be correct and can only be ascertained by knowing the weight being carried by the tires or axle.

Having tire cupping on outside edge of left front tire along with cupping on inside of right tire.

The alignment is OK, no knife edge or uneven wear on surface of either tire. shocks are new last year about 6,000 miles on both the tires and shocks . any ideas,???.

The coach is a 2003 American Revolution 38b with 68,000 miles. oh, the tires are Goodyear 278/80/r22.5.

When you say the alignment if "OK" do you have a full printout of all the numbers? Did you confirm the center of the rears point to the center of the front axle?

I believe it is called "Thrust Angle" and it should be zero otherwise the rear of the coach "dog tracks" and one side sticks out relative to the front tires.

Roger Marble

(On vacation at Nurburgring race track in Germany)

Thanks for the reply Roger, Yes I have had the coach weighed and do have the correct tire pressure for the weight. No I do not have a print out of the alighment. I have decided to have Henderson in Grantspass oregon check out the coach when we go that way in a month or so. Thanks to all who responded. Jim T.