Sign in to follow this  
howdymi

Problem Understanding Michelin Advantage Program

I am a rather new member and was looking over the information on the Michelin Advantage Program.

I don't really understand how you know for sure what the tires through the program will cost out the door.

How can you compare dealer out the door prices against buying through the program and having a dealer mount, balance and install. It just seems to be way more than this old man's brain can figure out. Is there a simple answer ?

Also if I purchase through a dealer I can say I will not accept any tires over 3 maybe 4 months old. With the program I see no way to do this, looks like what you get is yours.

I asked the dealer what was the age of the tires I was interested in - they were only several months old - this was done over the phone - If I didn't like his response, I would have insisted on newer tires or move on to the next dealer who carried Michelins in the size I needed -

The savings were huge at this time - about 1 year ago as I recall --

If you know the specific tire that you want -- model, size, load rating, etc. -- you can find the actual item number on the Michelin website. Then, you should be able to call the current FMCA program coordinator to get the base price plus federal excise tax in the program. You will have to add in the local taxes in your location.

With that information you can call a couple of local Michelin dealers that participate in the national accounts programs to find out what their prices are balanced and mounted versus what they would charge to balance and mount under the program and add tht to the FMCA prices to compare. At the same time you can query the age of the tires are if they have them in stock.

I was fortunate to find a cooperating dealer in my area who also had to order the tires from the nearby Michelin warehouse. As a result, the tires I got were all less than 3 months old.

In talking with the dealer during installation I discovered that he couldn't buy the same tire for the price I paid, so I figured I saved at least $100+ per tire.

Also, consider asking if they will give you anything for the tires they are removing. In my case the old tires looked good and had plenty of tread so the dealer gave me $80 credit for each which paid for the balancing, mounting and a front end alignment check. The dealer said he could make a few dollars selling them to the gravel haulers.

Where do you find the Michelin Program Coordinator's tel number?

I need to purchase either 3 or 5 new 255 80 R 22.5 XRV tires and would like to save what I can. Best price so far is $468.00 each plus tax & shipping.

I have also always been able to get new tires within 3 months mfg date as long as you specify that is what you will accept.

I have never had a Michelin coach tire that went beyond 6 years before it started side wall cracking. They may look like new on tread but when they go the explosion does a lot of damage. Always check your air brake lines if you ever have a tire blow.

Where do you find the Michelin Program Coordinator's tel number?

From the FMCA Home Page, click on the Michelin Advantage link and then go to the 4th paragraph down, which states:

Click here

to see a flier that shows sample prices for common Michelin RV tires,

under the Advantage program. For estimated pricing on additional tires

not on the sample list, please contact the FMCA Membership department at

membership@fmca.com or (800) 543-3622.

When you call that number you are connected to a very nice lady who will answer all your questions!

It is fairly simple, you will save $50 to $100 over the dealers price per tire. You will pay for everything else but the tires at the dealers regular price. I just purchased 235 - 80- 22.5 for $500 each out the door. Estimate about $75 per tire for install including balancing and aluminum wheel stems.

On the Michelin Advantage Program it says only good in the USA called the number and was told it was not set up for Canada and was for USA. So the Canadian members are out of luck