tmdo65

Gerard Electric Awnings

Any idea on how to isolate the entire five 110v awnings with a switch to prevent interference from the generator or inverter. Sounds crazy I know but have you ever seen the awnings extend on their own when the inverter is on and sometimes the gen.

These awnings are supposed to be cut out thru the ignition switch but sometimes one or two will extend a foot or two on their own.

2005 Monaco Executive 45'

I don't really know about Gerard awnings, but I have had a similar problem with led lighting. While trying to isolate the problem, I found the inverter had an issue with grounding.

Solution was to make sure that no ground wire in the coach accidentally bonds with the coach, or that the ground wires do not bond with the neutral wires. When I refer to ground wire, I mean the green wire, or any bare copper wire. And the neutral wire is of course the white wire. Your coach and every appliance should treated as an appliance. I was having an issue with led lights being partially on when the inverter was on. When I found the culprit, there was a bond in the transfer switch at the generator terminal, I removed that bond, and everything works correctly now. Hope you find your problem soon, and it is an easy fix.

Kaypsmith,

Welcome to FMCA.

The issue or problem you described in your post is referred to as a ground loop.

I must admit that I have not considered the issue while posting on the FMCA group web page. It is a common issue in large control systems, hospital and school call in systems

However ! it is very possible, with the number of electronic systems and low power devices now being used on coaches and I'm almost willing to bet that none of the coach manufactures have taken ground loops, due to wiring protocol into account.

This was a very astute observation on your part.

Well done!!!

Rich.

Kaypsmith,

Welcome to FMCA.

The issue or problem you described in your post is referred to as a ground loop.

I must admit that I have not considered the issue while posting on the FMCA group web page. It is a common issue in large control systems, hospital and school call in systems

However ! it is very possible, with the number of electronic systems and low power devices now being used on coaches and I'm almost willing to bet that none of the coach manufactures have taken ground loops, due to wiring protocol into account.

This was a very astute observation on your part.

Well done!!!

Rich.

I don't really know about Gerard awnings, but I have had a similar problem with led lighting. While trying to isolate the problem, I found the inverter had an issue with grounding.

Solution was to make sure that no ground wire in the coach accidentally bonds with the coach, or that the ground wires do not bond with the neutral wires. When I refer to ground wire, I mean the green wire, or any bare copper wire. And the neutral wire is of course the white wire. Your coach and every appliance should treated as an appliance. I was having an issue with led lights being partially on when the inverter was on. When I found the culprit, there was a bond in the transfer switch at the generator terminal, I removed that bond, and everything works correctly now. Hope you find your problem soon, and it is an easy fix.

OK friends. I have this very issue and have looking for it over a year.

How do I chase this down?

Hi Leo !!

Do you have an awning or LED lighting issue?

Sounds like a needle in a very large haystack. Now the key question is, did you have the problem when the coach was purchased?

Got to start somewhere: Do your awnings extend or LED's light when on shore power, generator and when the inverter is running or just a particular set up?

What model Inverter do you have?

Thinking you may not have any friends on the page if you keep coming up with all these oddball problems :D

Good to know you are still out there running around again.

Rich.

This thread has questions about Girard awning and LED's doing some strange things.

Awnings extending, on there own when the generator or inverter is running and LED's lighting up when the inverter is running.

Sounds like Kay found a bounding issue at the transfer switch / solenoid that when addressed cleared up the his LED issue.

Looked up some information on the Girard Awnings. They supply both a 110 volt AC system and a 12 volt DC system.

The remote controls work on RF.

The fact that they operate on an RF signal could mean a bounding issue, but they are prone to RF interference. This problem is frequently a grounding or shielding problem.

So I would suggest checking all the circuit connections pertaining to the receiver, paying close attention to the ground connections and the twist spacing of the exposed cabling. This spacing or twists per in. can have a profound affect on reducing RF and noise interference.

The little things are the ones that can make or brake proper operation of RF frequency remotely controlled systems.

The devil is in the details and the devil enjoys harassing us. I have to see if I can find the frequency(s) used by Girard so I can try to calculate the best wire twist to minimize interference problems.

Rich.

Hi Leo !!

Do you have an awning or LED lighting issue?

Sounds like a needle in a very large haystack. Now the key question is, did you have the problem when the coach was purchased?

Got to start somewhere: Do your awnings extend or LED's light when on shore power, generator and when the inverter is running or just a particular set up?

What model Inverter do you have?

Thinking you may not have any friends on the page if you keep coming up with all these oddball problems :D

Good to know you are still out there running around again.

Rich.

Rich. Hello good Sir. It is so great to know that we can sleep while the smartest of us are thinking.

What would all you SMART guys do with all your time if we don't find things for you to think about??? "Big Smile" :D

I have LEDs and no issues. The OP needs to make sure they have the right type of LEDs. Some don't take well to any power fluctuation such as when the residential compressor kicks in.

I do have the awning thing happening, BUT and I say BUT ( :--) it only happens when my house batteries are low. In that case, they will occasionally open part way and then close on their own after a short period.

I tool me awhile to track down that it ONLY happens when I have LOW battery voltage. In my case, under 11.5, which of course I try to avoid. However, ......... Oops happen eh?

I only jumped in the find out how to find a ground loop if that is the issue. The simple fix for me is to make sure the house batteries are properly charged and the genny "auto start" is turned on. :blink:

With the greatest respect;

Leo

Anyone install the Girard Awning retrofit LED light kit into their Girard awning? I just ordered it and while i was looking through the instructions on line they seem to be straight forward but speaking to someone who has actually completed the installation would be better.