classicmouser

Jake Brake

I just put a deposit down on a 2001 Featherlight Vantare 45ft tag.

It has the DD60 with Allison 6 speed.

During the test drive I checked the jake on both low and high setting and while the dash would indicate it was working I did not feel the deceleration I was expecting.

I'm trading a Monaco DP with an exhaust brake and it seemed to have better deceleration.

I have read that the engine/trans affect of the jake should work better than my old exhaust brake but it did not seem that way.

The dealer told me that it was likely programmed by Allison for 4th gear but could not confirm or that it was working correctly but offered to check codes but told me not to expect a very noticeable deceleration. It does not seem right to me.

Should I expect to see a noticeable deceleration and if so would it only be at certain speed/gear etc?

I have no experience with a jake or a Prevost.

You haven’t signed the papers and taken delivery so tell him you want it fixed or the cost of replacement taken off the price. I think it should work at least as good as your Monaco and maybe better on the high setting.

Bill

My experience has been that a Jake works as least as noticeably, if not more so, than an exhaust brake. You might try having someone drive to coach past while you're on the sidewalk. If the Jake is operating, you will hear it. Also, since this is an expensive repair, getting a qualified mechanic to verify the Jake's operation would seem prudent.

Gook luck,

Tim

This link covers the operation and use of Jake braking. Primarily on big rigs, but the same operation and application applies to RV's.

Rich.

Our's has a two stage jake brake and it is very strong on both settings, on an 8% grade it will slow us down too much and I find myself feathering the accelerator pedal to shut it off. you might want to get that checked out prior to purchase.

Demand that it be checked out by a DD certified shop. If they say it is working, then it is. But I doubt it. There should be a noticeable slow down.