ReneeEimerman

Passport America

Can anyone give me information on Passport America? My general questions would be: How readily accepted is it in the campgrounds? Do they only accept so many at a time, say the the first ten people for that day? Are there any restrictions? Any drawbacks? The positives look great on their website. Planning a big trip out west this fall and looking to save as many dollars as possible. Thanks for any input.

Renee

It does what it says. You only have to use it a couple of times to get your money back. Certainly there are restrictions at some camp grounds for peak season, etc. But, I think it is a good deal, considering everything.

Each site may have restrictions. Not sure about other smart phones, but there is an APP for iPhones. You can request a printed directory. Many sites are older Mom & Pop campgrounds with 30 amp. Some have been upgraded. We have had a membership for over 10 years and have used it enough to more than pay for the yearly dues. We did belong to two other membership campground programs. Of all the campground memberships out there, Passport America has been the best we have used.

You will find that each campground will have their own specific restrictions but we found on an extended trip last year that it paid for itself.

Some limit the discount to one day and we had others that allowed unlimited days. One we stayed at in Wyoming did not give Passport America discounts from May 1 through September 30 and outside that time period it was valid for one night only. Yet another park outside San Antonio, Texas has no restrictions on Passport America stays.

You might go to the Passport America website and look at individual parks in which you are interested to see what restrictions they might have.

Thank you so much for all the information. I did some other research on my own and decided for $44, I would take the risk. Huge trip (for us) this fall, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas. Surely, I will find somewhere to stay!

Thank you so much for all the information. I did some other research on my own and decided for $44, I would take the risk. Huge trip (for us) this fall, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Arkansas. Surely, I will find somewhere to stay!

If not, there's always Wally World. :rolleyes::D

I used Passport America on a trip this Fall and Winter from IN to CA and back through FL before going home to IN. While travelling, we used PA almost every night. As stated earlier, each park makes their own restrictions, so you have to read the information in the book or website. There were no problems receiving the discount per the rules in the directory. We very seldom called ahead, but we stopped between noon and 2 PM. We generally try to avoid the parks that are too far away from our travel route. Also the park description usually gives a good indication of the type of park. Some we stayed at were basically a gravel pad with services and others were a resort type park. I have been a PA member for many years and think it is a good value.

As an aside, if you have a smart phone or other such device, get the Gas Buddy app. It will find the closest station or best price for gasoline or diesel. You choose your parameters in the app. We saved a lot on gas during the trip by uning the app.

Have a great trip and take time to "smell the roses" on the way.

Sam