petersrc2

Unwanted Moisture In Our Camelot 40PAQ

Below is what I posted to another forum.

If anyone is in a position to share some wisdom ------- I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Water Leak
Two days of steady rain bring another new experience ------water leak appears to be entering the exterior wall at slide roofline. We notice dampness on wall panel immediately above the rear window of our forward curbside slide. The moisture then appears to follow the window frame and exit at the base of the frame, to the lower paneling.

This is the Curbside "Dinette Slide" on our 2006 Camelot 40 PAQ.

Raining too hard at the moment to inspect slide roofline (beneath topper awning), but I'm guessing that the water might be draining off the slide roof to the outside molding which projects above the roofline ---------then, somehow finds a way into the wall????

Has anyone else experienced a similar occurrence? Not having closely inspected that area, might it be as simple as re-sealing roofling at outside molding (This molding I mention is the one extends beyond/seals the opening when slide is retracted).

Might I have to remove slide topper awning to achieve this? Seems "awkward" ------a two man job, on a dry day????

Or, does someone have a better solution to offer?

Thanks in advance

Rudy

Hi Rudy!

I have a different make and manufacture, but had a similar problem. On mine there are seals on the inside edge of the slide, that when the slide is out seal the slide roof line between the coach wall and the inside lip of the slide.

You can see and feel the seals with the slide slightly retracted. You might need to clean them and the roof surface where it seals between the roof line and the top of the slide out roof. Also wipe down all the seals with some silicon, this will clean them and and help keep them conditioned.

Dirt builds up on the roof and seals and allows water to seep in between.

Should the coach be tilted so the curb side is a little higher water can pool along the area of the seal.

Hope this helps. Rich.

If you have a fiberglass roof, you might want to check the sealant where the roof terminates near the gutter.

Hi Rudy!

I have a different make and manufacture, but had a similar problem. On mine there are seals on the inside edge of the slide, that when the slide is out seal the slide roof line between the coach wall and the inside lip of the slide.

You can see and feel the seals with the slide slightly retracted. You might need to clean them and the roof surface where it seals between the roof line and the top of the slide out roof. Also wipe down all the seals with some silicon, this will clean them and and help keep them conditioned.

Dirt builds up on the roof and seals and allows water to seep in between.

Should the coach be tilted so the curb side is a little higher water can pool along the area of the seal.

Hope this helps. Rich.

Thanks Rich.

I'm not sure I'm on the same wavelength with you.

I don't think I have a problem sealing the slide to the Motorhome when it's out. The problem is at the slide's outer wall when it's out.

As for tilt --------If I'm seeing things correctly, the slide roofline has "plenty" of drop from the Coach to the outside edge. It's when the water atop the roofline reaches that outside edge that I think it may migrate downward into the slide's outer wall?? But, who knows where the water enters, eh?

I'll check out CampCop's suggestion too. Maybe the water enters beneath the gutter, and runs between the roof's inner/outer layers to outside wall????

Rudy.

OK Got you Rudy ! I was thinking water between where the slid and coach wall meet, not the side wall of the slid its self.

If you do not have a leak when the slid is in, then it would be where CampCop mentioned or at the roof line where the top of the slid and sidewall are matted.

Rich.

I've pulled in the slide. This appears to have "diminshed" the water migration.

Will check it out when we get 'er back home.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rudy

We had a leak in our coach when it was new, the cabinets in the bedroom slide would take on water. It wasn't a huge amount but it couldn't be tolerated either. We were under warranty and took the coach back to our dealer. They put a heavy sealer tape on the corners from the outer wall to where it joined the coach and that took care of the problem. The tape is still there today and we are still dry. Later we had a problem with water at the junction of the coach wall and the same bedroom slide. That was resolved by adjusting the slide. An examination of the slide and the opening showed that the slide wasn't centered in the opening. Once adjusted, we had no more leaks. These were pretty simple fixes for water problems. I hope your problems are fixed as easily.

Another thought on this.

I purchased a new motorhome in 2004 and the fist time parked in the rain with all the slides out we woke up to water running in our face in the middle of the night. Back to the factory after we discovered the next day the hole in the wall was out of square by 3/4 inch checking with a plumb bob. Seals were jammed on one bottom side and not even touching on the opposite top side.

They pulled out the slide and Moved the studs and got it down to 3/8 inch out of square when completed. They also put more backing behind the seals. It hasn't leaked since but when that slide is extended it looks bad because one outside wiper is turned under on the jammed side and the one on the other side sometimes comes out as it should. I usually take the awning pull down rod and position the wipers correctly but at least no more leaks.

Incidentally they had to do a front slide later on and it has not leaked since either.

Bebop

We were at Hilton Head earlier this year when a blowing rainstorm came through. We had a leak where the bedroom slide meets the wall. A neighbor in the campground said there are 2 kinds of motorhomes. One that leaks and one that is going to leak. We were at St Augustine earlier this month and had 12 inches of rain the first 3 days we were there. The bedroom didn't leak this time but some magazines got wet next to where the front slide meets the wall. I could never find what caused either of these leaks.

Thanks everyone for your input.

We returned home (Abbotsford, BC, Canada) today.

I think it's "watertight" while parked with slides in ---------will extend slide and review/inspect gasketing, etc.when we next get a couple of dry days. Hopefully, some of your suggestions will help me resolve this irritation.

Rudy

Ahh, so the leak is in actually in the slide itself and not the MH structure?? If that's the case, i had a leak very similar to yours but the leak came in at the base of the slide and into a drwaer area and then onto the floor. I found that the seam on top of the slide itself had been compromised but had a **** of a time finding it. I finally put a strip of 4" Eternabond along the entire top of the outer seam on the roof of the slide and down the sides about 6". That solved the problem.....Everybody always checks their roof seams but seldom is the slide roof checked which usually has the rubber membrane covering checked, especially if there is a slide topper on them.

Hey Campcop ------------ You may be the closest to addressing my issue.

Yes, the leak shows up in the outer wall of the slide itself. Looking at the paneling above the slide's outer windows, it appears as though there may have been a little bit of prior leakage (bought the M.H. used last August), so I'd like to rectify that sooner, rather than later.

Your suggestion of applying a strip of Eternabond along the full outer length of the slide sounds like something that might work (If my assumption of water getting in there is correct) Did you lay it flat on to the roof, or apply a portion of it upwards on to the molding which seals against the Coach once retracted?

And, ------------------- do you have slide toppers(ours are Carefree Eclipse I think)? If so, how easy/difficult are they to loosen/remove?. Once removed from the outer wall of the slide, did you just lay them atop the extended slide while applying the Eternabond? Two man job, I suspect?? (I've not yet looked at how this might be achieved)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rudy

ps. I like your two wheeler too. We sold our UltraGlide when "Grandma" no longer wanted to ride; now down to 2 collector cars.

Depending on where the leak is. Ours was at the inner seam and not the outer wall but the water would find its way all the way to the outer wall and into a drawer area. I put the tape over the metal bracket that attached the frame to the slide roof...covering the screws etc. the area has to be really clean...I used acetone to clean the membrane etc. I am afraid you will have to remove the topper to do this, either the wall side or the inner side :( Who knows, once you get up there you might find that the membrane itself has a cut in it, eternabond is excellent for this too.

The slide roof I repaired did not have a topper so it was pretty easy. I would assume the slide would have to in to remove the topper. I helped my brother- inlaw repair a topper once. You can get directions for removal from the website of the manufacturer. Usually have to mess with the springs ....hard to explain but relatively easy if you have directions with pictures!! Takes two people to do safely..
Good luck.

Camelot 40 paq 2005 had same moisture problem and have found and solved the problem. Depending on the rain direction which slide it might be.

Put any slide out, you will find they will all have the same problem, but some might not show up because the seal is glued over the hole. On a ladder go to the outside corner wall of the slide, just under the slide topper at the outside corner of the slide carefully pull the rubber seal away from the corner. What I found is the weld that goes all the way across the inside of the outside wall ends about 1 inch short from each corner of all my slides. Seal those corners with a good calk and put the rubber seal back.

The way I proved it was to pour some kids bubble stuff down the hole and put a low pressure air hose on it after about 5 minutes bubbles were blowing around the windows. All slides were welded short at the corners, so I calked all corners.

I just read this, and I know it sounds confusing, if you have questions feel free to ask rvdebree@gmail.com

BOB