Raiders

Chassis Batteries Won't Keep A Charge

Hi, we just had our chassis batteries on our 2013 American Revolution replaced because they weren't holding a charge 2 days ago.

We are on day 2 of our camping trip & they died again! We have read the manuals, reset the inverter & still nothing . Does anyone know what might be causing this?!

Thx!

Raiders,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Are you dry camping or are you on shore power?

On either, the chassis battery should last more than two days. But, on shore power, not all coaches recharge the chassis battery from the inverter/charger.

So, that is two separate issues-- what is drawing on the chassis batteries AND what charge sources charge the chassis battery,

You may need an ammeter to trace down the draw.

Your coach maker can tell you whether 120 VAC (shore power or generator) will charge the chassis battery bank.

If the Revolution is like all other AC models, the batteries are charged from the inverter/charger when on shore power.

Raiders,

A Welcome to FMCA also.

New American Coach so I'm wondering if you might have a MS-2000 charger / Inverter.

They have a 30 amp reset / breaker on them. If you have the manuals for the unit, look and see a picture of it in your information. you should see 2 circuit breakers and 1 reset button. the reset is closest to the front as you look at it on the left hand side near the bottom corner.

Should it not restart, then push and hold the power push button for about 15 seconds, a LED should flash for a short time then when you release it it should stop flashing. This indicates that it has reset.

You would not have any 12 volts for the coach and would lose AC on two of your 110 volt AC power circuits.

Also, look at this link for more information on what I think your problem is:

http://community.fmca.com/topic/5222-no-power-to-110-outlets-in-coach-area-unless-inverter-is-turned-on/

Rich.

Have 2009 Roadtrek 210 and the chassis (Chevy-Express Van) battery continues to discharge to nothing within 2 weeks

while sitting at home and plugged into the house. This is the second battery to need replacing. I earlier installed a cut-off

switch, under the dash, to eliminate radio & any RV-coach link to that chassis battery, but it will still be dead in 2 weeks.

I Emailed Roadtrek...waiting for reply, but meanwhile what's the largest capacity battery I can install up front on this Van?

RadioRoy,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Physical space will dictate the largest battery you can install. All the major battery websites have battery dimensions for their batteries.

The other issue is how to charge the chassis battery while in storage or put a "whole battery" disconnect on it. By whole battery, I mean that it is likely that it sounds like there are parasitic loads that your under-dash cut-off switch is not eliminating.

If you have 120 VAC where you store, you can install an Echo charger or similar that charges the chassis battery when the house battery is charged (from converter or charger). If outdoors, a small solar panel is another option.

Radio Roy, the chev. chassis uses an electric Cooling fan for the radiator. This circuit is temperature activated and is hot even with the ignition switch off. This fan does draw allot of current, the ECM is always powered to keep information stored.

Should you disconnect the chassis battery physically or with a manual disconnect switch at the negative battery terminal on the chassis battery. You will need to drive the coach a 100 miles or so before all the engine parameters are reset. This could be an issue if you live in a state that requires a computer readout to pass inspection.

By chance do you live in an area that is warmer then usual?

The other solution might be to attach a small battery charger to the chassis battery to keep it charged. I'm thinking that shore power may charge the coach battery, but not the chassis battery.

To know for sure read the voltage across the chassis battery and the coach batteries while connected to shore power.

Rich.

Thanks for replies concerning my "less than perfect" battery situation. I am still waiitng for the Roadtrek factory response before I make a move.

I am keeping the replies from those who offered suggestions and will pass them by the tech folks at Roadtrek. I'm checking the voltage readings

as suggested. We are in Iowa...that should answer the reply I received concerning "warmer the normal" temps. Summer is good for the corn, but

winter....not so much :) .