benny@waskomtexas.com

Keeping an RV Refrigerator Level

As I understand it, the flame in an RV refrigerator burns under a cup-shaped area that heats the water and ammonia to boil off the ammonia. I have been told that if you allow the motorhome to be more than a half bubble off level, that it will cause some kind of flakes to form in the solution, which will clog up the cooling system.

Also, I have been told that if the motorhome is not level, then the flame just does not heat the solution as well, and it is less efficient. Does anyone know the truth?

As I understand the flame in the fridge burns under a cup shaped area that heat the water and ammonia to boil off the ammonia. I have been told that if you allow the motor home to be more than a half bubble off level that it will cause some kind of flakes to form in the solution which will clog up the cooling system. Also I have been told that if the MH is not level that the flame just does not heat the solution as well and it is less efficient. Does anyone know the truth ?

Yes, absorption refrigerators are sensitive to being operated out of level. As a generalization, older models more so than newer ones. Being operated out of level can ruin the cooling unit.

And all this information (in terms of sensitivity to out of level operation) is in your refrigerator owners manual. It will tell you specs for front to back and side to side level.

This is ONLY while parked. While driving, the motion of the RV keeps the cooling solution moving.

Brett Wolfe

Guest Wayne77590

I'm sure that different models and years will have different specifications for being level.

In my Norcold (2008 model) it specifically states 3 degrees side to side, and 6 degrees front to back, or was it the reverse.

Best to check your manual. If you do not have a manual, get the model and serial number off of the plate and either call the MFG, or do an on-line search and get a print out of the manual.

Most articles will tell you that if you park your RV at an angle when storing it, make sure that it is level for 24 hours before you start the refrigerator cooling system to allow the fluids to level. Apparently it takes a while to level out after storage.

Again - the manual will really help.

Ah! Found it: From My manual.

"CAUTION: The refrigerator is made to operate within 3°

off level side-to-side and 6° off level front-to-back (as

looking at the front of the refrigerator). Operating it at

more than these limits can cause damage to the cooling

system and create a risk of personal injury or property

damage. Make sure the vehicle is level before you

operate the refrigerator."

I took the cover off the burner and it is very clean, no carbon at all. The flame is blue. I have not tried to remove the flue (I think that is is name) I don't have the manual here at the computer. Could the problem be the Gas pressure being low because the LP gas tank is low?

I took the cover off the burner and it is very clean, no carbon at all. The flame is blue. I have not tried to remove the flue (I think that is is name) I don't have the manual here at the computer. Could the problem be the Gas pressure being low because the LP gas tank is low?

Rolacoy,

Removing the cover ONLY will not necessarily reveal problems corrected by doing a complete "burner area tune-up".

You would not, for example, be able to see dirt, rust or an insect nest in the BURNER TUBE or a spec of dirt in the propane jet.

If your refrigerator is not performing as it should, your best bet is to pull out your refrigerator owners manual and do the COMPLETE "burner area tune-up".

Brett Wolfe