Sign in to follow this  
BLundin

Towing Ford Edge - Preventing Dead Battery

We just purchased a 2013 Ford Edge and found out that, with the key in the accessory position, the battery may be dead at the end of the day. We are looking for options to prevent this. Any help is appreciated.

Bob Lundin, 2000 Endeavor, 330 CAT

Bob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Run a charge wire from the chassis battery of the coach to the toad battery.

Fuse at coach chassis battery positive, 8 gauge wire from chassis battery fuse to toad connection. 8 gauge wire to fuse at toad battery positive to toad battery positive.

8 gauge wire from chassis battery ground to toad connection and 8 gauge wire from toad connection to toad battery negative terminal. When you drive, the coach's alternator will keep the toad's battery charged.

You can also get a toad connector with more terminals and run these wires through a single plug along with all other wires from coach to toad.

I also plan on towing a 2013 Edge and am aware of the battery discharge problem. I have considered using the hot wire from the tow wiring plug to attach to the Edge positive terminal. The wiring harness is already grounded becasue it is used to run the turn signals and brake lights. Do i still need to run a wire from the chassis battery negative post since the coach is already grounded to the toad?

I have also considered the toad charger product. Is this necessary?

Don Kisler

Don,

IF, repeat if your ground wire in the original harness is of large enough gauge that you don't have a voltage drop, no need for an additional ground. That is (ya, another IF) that original ground is connected to the toad's negative terminal or frame, not just the ground for the lights.

Yes, that is a lot of iffffs! Better (in terms of charging voltage and amps that can be transferred) to have a separate ground of sufficient gauge.

A very simple fix. Just go to WalMart, automotive section. Purchase a battery disconnect battery terminal. It attaches to ground side of battery. Just simply loosen a knob, and power is disconnected. Just remember to retighten, when you plan to drive vehicle.

While a battery disconnect is an option on many vehicles, please check if this is recommended for your vehicle.

Also, repeated cutting power/reconnecting power to computers may "irritate" them.

And, if the toad battery is used to power the toad brake (as most do) disconnecting will not solve the discharge issue.

We purchased a new 2012 Ford Fusion SEL in August 2011 as a tow vehicle for our motor home. We specifically said that we did not want to deal with pulling fuses, etc. They said the Fusion would do, and we purchased. The first tow was across the country, and the Fusion's battery was dead after 4-hours when we stopped to run the engine to let the transmission oil circulate (per instructions). We thought we were doing something wrong. This happened multiple times. Upon return, our Ford dealership discovered that although putting the key in accessory, several things stay on such as the auto-wipers, and 2 other minor circuits... just enough to drain the battery after 3 to 4 hours of towing. They said, pull these 3 fuses (not all the same amps) and you will be fine. NO WAY, we said.

We complained enough that the Ford dealership paid our RV repair shop to run a charge wire from the coach to the vehicle's battery. It cost them about $130 to resolve.

We just bought a 2013 Edge to replace our 2011 KIA Soul that burned to the ground. We're waiting right now for our base plates to come in. From what I'm seeing the steering does not seem to lock with the key pulled out. Am I missing something?

I have a Lincoln MKX which is basically the same thing as the Edge. I had the same problem and found a forum that said to plug the braking system into a portable battery boost jumper pack. I went to Harbor Frieght and got one that had a 12 volt lighter plug. It worked great and no more problems, the braking system was what was running my battery down. I charge it jumper back up over night and I am ready to go. Plus I have a jumper pack if I need it and it came with a built in compressor that works great for bike tires and such.

Wolfe10

why do you need such a large gauge wire for charging the toad

do you use a diode or is it not needed
also if you use the the umbilical cord the gauge of that wire is approximately 16 gauge I think? 

you probably know better than me, I have a 2014 forde edge with a break buddy constantly plugged in 

and battery wen t so low break buddy lights were out and car barely

started after a 2 hour drive I’m lost?

F438528,

First welcome to the Forum. If you will notice this is a 8 year old post and Wolfe10 hasn't been a member in about 2 years. That being said Wolfe10 was/is a very smart gentleman on RVs. my thought would be to use one size larger wire than your alternator uses to maintain your battery. IMHO (in my humble opinion)

Herman