ceptap

Satellite Installation

Hi

We just purchased a 2003 Monaco and it came with a portable satellite system, I think it is called the Cube.

In our other RV we had the Kingdome, semi-automatic (manually input elevation, then told it to search to find azmuth) and it was great, we never had any issues. But that coach we bought brand new in 1993 and installed the Kingdome in 94. We are sure there have been lots of technological changes since then! :-)

So we are looking for some assistance so that we make the best choice.

We did go to Camping World to ask about them, and the man who helped us said buy the Winegard Trav'ler, there were no other options. We don't know if that is accurate or not.

We use DIRECT tv, we have never taken our DVR with us, only the standard receiver but that is because the Kingdome was only set up for the standard receiver. So we would probably take the DVR with us if we had that capability in the coach. We do have a TV in the bedroom, but we never take a second receiver with us. We don't watch TV much in the bedroom.

It needs to be automatic, at least as good as our Kingdome. Can anyone make suggestions as to what system would meet our requirements? We really appreciate the help.

In my opinion the Winegard Traveler is the best. It is also expensive, but is very easy to use, and provides full HD capability. Also can support multiple receivers with each watching their own programming. We use Dish, but the Direct TV model works basically the same. Of course, there is now a new model to match the new Direct TV technology. It will also support the two reciver DVR.

While it is expensive, it can be moved from one RV to another. Ours is on our second RV. In the long run the convinience and performance are worth the expense.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others.