Sign in to follow this  
lpfdon

Tires For Tow Dolly

A tire shredded on my tow dolly last holiday weekend. We sat overnight at a rest area until the next morning and then went looking for a tire (we don't carry a spare). It was hard to find 205/75 D14, although we did eventually.

But now the tires don't match. They're identical in size but have different manufacturers. What now -- is that safe? Should I buy two more identical trailer tires and install them? Why would I need D-rated tires? Could I not just use a passenger tire with a R rating?

Didn't get any feedback so I studied tire ratings online. Found out that 98% of tires today are "R" rated(radial) and that "D" are bias ply. Also talked to the local tire shop and have ordered two ST 205/75R14 tires plus 14 inch rim. Now I will have a spare. ST ratings stand for trailer tires. Blowout could have been a result of me not maintaining maximum tire pressure of 50 pounds. Thought I should run like a car at 35psi but the tire shop said the higher tire pressure is neccesary to prevent heat build up. The smaller tow dolly tires are spinning at twice the rpm's to keep up to the 22.5 tires on the coach.

Answered my own question!