rga48

XZA3 275/80R22.5 Vs. XZE

18 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Eddie, I also have a Monaco product that had the 295/80R22.5 from the factory. When we picked it up it had the 295/75R22.5 on it which wasn't adequate to handle the weight of the coach. After research I went with the 12R22.5. 

In our situation the 12R was a little overkill for the weight (not a bad thing), it was a tire that is easily sourced should I need one, it fit our factory wheels, had no clearance issues under the coach and it was lighter than the other option (315/80R22.5) which helps reduce rotational mass for MPG's. Being such a common size pricing was fantastic. Sounds like you have some research to do.

Here is the link from the previous discussion;

jleamont.....thank you for your insight...and the new thread...I was simply going to put the same brand and size back on until I spoke with Jim from Source Engineering...and yes, if price was excluded from the conversation, I would choose a Michelin as well, but unfortunately, in this instance, it is, as we have other repairs needed to the Monaco...   :(

14 minutes ago, pennzo said:

jleamont.....thank you for your insight...and the new thread...I was simply going to put the same brand and size back on until I spoke with Jim from Source Engineering...and yes, if price was excluded from the conversation, I would choose a Michelin as well, but unfortunately, in this instance, it is, as we have other repairs needed to the Monaco...   :(

I bought the BF Goodrich ST230 in a 12R22.5, all 6 cost me $2300.00 out the door tax included. I put them on myself.

5 minutes ago, jleamont said:

I bought the BF Goodrich ST230 in a 12R22.5, all 6 cost me $2300.00 out the door tax included. I put them on myself.

wow!  well done...I am brave enough to admit my limitations...XD

just spoke with Jim over at Source Engineering and he said I need to put on the 295/80's, as this is what Monaco went to a couple of years after releasing the Windsor...told me it would be a mistake put back on the 275/70's, ( and I am shuddering to think I've driver cross country in those!) so it's back up to New Braunfels to get the rim size and determine proper inflation...he told me clearance would not be a problem, but being new to the RV world, I can't help but err to the side of caution with replacing like for like, as it's all I know....so now I need to see if I can get a good deal that size and get it done...

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

Eddie, I also have a Monaco product that had the 295/80R22.5 from the factory. When we picked it up it had the 295/75R22.5 on it which wasn't adequate to handle the weight of the coach. After research I went with the 12R22.5. 

In our situation the 12R was a little overkill for the weight (not a bad thing), it was a tire that is easily sourced should I need one, it fit our factory wheels, had no clearance issues under the coach and it was lighter than the other option (315/80R22.5) which helps reduce rotational mass for MPG's. Being such a common size pricing was fantastic. Sounds like you have some research to do.

Here is the link from the previous discussion;

well, I believe I have it figured out....any input and guidance is most appreciated, as I didn't think this would be so difficult....I have 8.25 Alcoa rims and am leaning towards the Hankook AH37's..only issue is according to their website, it needs a 9" rim?  Beasley Tire said they put 295 or wider on 8.25's all the time, so there's that....and it's what Jim has suggested (but can't find a 295/80 option, so am getting the 295/75 option...)

I'm picking the RV up in the morning and will gingerly take her down IH-35 to Beasley Tire to get the work done....unless anyone has any objections ( and please shout out if you do!), this is the decision I've reached...thanks to everyone for their support and insight....I trust this is the correct decision....

Eddie

Eddie, just make sure those can handle the GVWR of each axle. You'd be surprised how many tire dealer will not verify that first and just assume it will be ok. The 295/75 I had on ours were overloaded, especially on the steer axle and it really handled like it was overloaded.

The 295/75 will be closer to OE size than the 295/80's (a good thing).

Be sure to verify load capacity of the 295/75.

And if you have the Sheppard steering box, it is very easy (only need a small screwdriver) to change cut angle if the new tires are interfering with  body or chassis components.

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Eddie, just make sure those can handle the GVWR of each axle. You'd be surprised how many tire dealer will not verify that first and just assume it will be ok. The 295/75 I had on ours were overloaded, especially on the steer axle and it really handled like it was overloaded.

thank you, jleamont...I will check the Hankook tire site to doubly check, but must admit am having challenges....so much going on and it's just not sinking in...beginning to think I may have made an incorrect decision.....

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

The 295/75 will be closer to OE size than the 295/80's (a good thing).

Be sure to verify load capacity of the 295/75.

And if you have the Sheppard steering box, it is very easy (only need a small screwdriver) to change cut angle if the new tires are interfering with  body or chassis components.

wolfe10,

I am attempting to locate the load capacity for the Hankook AH-37 and am finding it difficult....guess I am not the best at Googling things....

Mounting a tire on a rim narrower than the specifications can be done. We have it on our tires/wheels. However, there is a reduction in the load capacity when this is done. For example, our tires have a max pressure of 130psi when mounted on a 9" rim. When on a 8.25" rim like we have the max pressure is only 120psi. The max load capacity drops from what's possible at 130psi to what's possible at 120psi.

I've just tried to find the appropriate information in the Hankook technical manual but had no success. I couldn't even find the tire you're looking at in the size you need. Not saying it's not there, just that I couldn't find it.

My suggestion is to contact Hankook and get the specs on the load capacity when mounted on your rims. Would really suck to have them mounted and then later on find out that the narrower rims reduced the capacity below where you need it to be.

Eddie, if you sourced the 16 ply you might be close to your front axle GVWR which is good. Check the decal in the coach for your axle weight rating. What year Windsor do you have?

Our coaches are similar depending on the year. 

The chart in that publication shows that the tires mounted on the 8.25" rims, so that's a good thing (if that's what you have). The only missing piece in the equation is what your coach's actual weight is. Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread, I don't believe you've posted it. If you don't have a current weight, perhaps you can run across a scale on your way to the dealer.

5 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Eddie, if you sourced the 16 ply you might be close to your front axle GVWR which is good. Check the decal in the coach for your axle weight rating. What year Windsor do you have?

Our coaches are similar depending on the year. 

jleamont,

I have attached the pdf for the Hankook..it looks as if I should very good to go, as it seems the capacity/characteristics are identical to tall commercial rubber (11R24.5)..the ratings on the 6 I'm purchasing (#3002512) seem good and capable...if you would be so kind as to review what I have attached, I'd be forever grateful...and thank you again for everything...

Hancook_Quote_22819.pdf

Hankook_Leaflet_AH37.pdf

Your quote is for a 275/70R22.5 which is 3.5” shorter and .7 of an inch narrower than the factory 295/80R22.5. That is significantly smaller and much to far of a change for my comfort.

My concerns are the coach will not have as much rubber on the road and that much smaller overall size would be similar to driving in 5th gear vs 6th which will increase engine RPMs enough to have a noticeable decrease in MPG’s.

here is the link to the factory tire size that came with your coach:

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/selector/#!/info/x-multiway-3d-xze

11 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

The chart in that publication shows that the tires mounted on the 8.25" rims, so that's a good thing (if that's what you have). The only missing piece in the equation is what your coach's actual weight is. Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread, I don't believe you've posted it. If you don't have a current weight, perhaps you can run across a scale on your way to the dealer.

richard5933,

yes, I have 8.25" Alcoa rims...as far as the actual weigh of the coach, it is empty right now, which is a good thing, as I'd be estimating ( or guessing!  XD ) as to a dry weight of the vehicle as it sits now..I have attached the 6th page of the 2000 Monaco Windsor for reference...am I in trouble?

It seems if my Hankooks handle 6136 lbs per side, I won't even have enough for the front axle according to this, correct?

Again, thank you for the assistance..

2000_Windsor_GVWR.pdf

24 minutes ago, jleamont said:

Your quote is for a 275/70R22.5 which is 3.5” shorter and .7 of an inch narrower than the factory 295/80R22.5. That is significantly smaller and much to far of a change for my comfort.

My concerns are the coach will not have as much rubber on the road and that much smaller overall size would be similar to driving in 5th gear vs 6th which will increase engine RPMs enough to have a noticeable decrease in MPG’s.

here is the link to the factory tire size that came with your coach:

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tires/selector/#!/info/x-multiway-3d-xze

so sorry for my confusion, jleamont...I am getting the 295/75's for the same price, $390/tire, DOT code 3718, so they are about 5 months old...Beasley Tire (Adam) said it would not be a problem to honor that same price....and that was the same size tire that is on it now (Michelin ZXE2+, 275/70R/22.5)....little did I know I was operating on VERY borrowed time, especially when you consider I have TILE floors throughout and Cherry cabinets....it's truly a blessing I haven't had a tire issue sooner...but she hasn't seen much asphalt since 8/2016...

hope this helps and welcome any suggestions or validations...just want to be sure I am making the right decision, I am a safe steward and member going down the road...thanks again!

Just looked at the sheet...now I know why I could run 275/70's.......Michelins are stout....the capacity for those 295/80's are almost 800 lbs per tire.....

Am I just being way too anal retentive?

Eddie G.

Eddie, you have a lighter front axle than us. The 295/75 is rated at 6610 lbs each on a single which totals out over your 13,000 front axle weight rating. I would be comfortable with that if it were me.

As Richard mentioned obtaining a true axle weight rating with the fuel tank and propane tank full all of your belongings onboard and the fresh water tank full would be ideal. You never know, it might be heavier than you realize.  Don’t forget to add the driver and passenger weights into the figure also. 

jleamont,

my axle weight is lighter than yours?....cool...was under the impression the front axle weight on my 38PBS was much more than I had anticipated...BTW, thank you for your review....agree with Richards's suggestion to grab a full weighting with fuel, propane and fresh/black capacities to ensure we're good to go, but given that I'm picking up the RV and going straight to the tire shop tomorrow morning, I am hoping that the larger footprint implies a larger capacity..

you have been very instrumental and helpful in reassuring my fears....my brief newbie experience on FMCA has been nothing short of breath-taking spectacular....  :)