Roadtrekingmike

Heading to Gillette: Tell Me Where To Go

Question

Hi everyone... I'm the FMCA's on-the-road reporter and it’s time to head west to Wyoming and, eventually, Yellowstone National Park. And this year, instead of repeating past routes, I thought it would be fun to get your suggestions, to crowd source our trip by drawing on the collected wisdom of our readers and then passing what we find on to our readers.

In other words, tell me where to go.

Here’s the particulars:

I’ll be leaving Kalamazoo, MI about 9 AM Friday June 14. I need to be in Gillette, WY by mid afternoon Monday June 18 for the annual Family Motor Coach Association Reunion and motorhome showcase. That’s about 1,230 miles.

I don’t want to drive more than 400 miles a day so there’s time to discover cool places, see great things, meet interesting people on the way that we can photograph, video and report about to you on this blog. I’m on the lookout for truly unique places and people. I’ve already written about the touristy things along the way on previous trips. The Corn Palace. Wall Drugs. We reported on the Badlands and Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore last year. So I’m looking to forgo those spots and travel off the beaten path this time. What are the stories along the way unique to the land?

More info can be found on my blog here.

2 answers to this question

Mike, knowing some of the folks on the Forum, I would not open myself up by asking them where to go. They may tell you. :D:lol::D

If you get a chance go to Thermopilis and the hot springs. Cody is good also.

Looking forward to seeing you in Gillette.

Herman

If you do go to Thermoplis (which I also recommend), be aware that just north of town, Hwy 120 has a 3+ mile stretch of dirt road where they are rebuilding the road. Particularly if it has been raining, this can be a poor choice of routes.

Instead, if headed for Cody, use U.S. 20 which is 40 miles longer, but excellent road and fewer grades.

BTW, this advice is from both the WY DOT engineer for the area and the highway patrolman for the area.

In Thermoplis, be sure to see the Dinosaur Museum.

Brett