Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

Polishing Counter Tops

polish counter tops
I have an 2006 Holiday Rambler and over the years the counter tops in the kitchen and bath have dulled, I can only assume they are
imitation corian.

The inserts for the sink and stove were stored under the counter by the previous owner and were not used, thus they are bright and
shiny. I would like to polish the surface to the original luster.

Any one have any ideas? I have a 10" orbital buffer I use when I wax, thinking I could go to the auto parts store and get some fine buffing compound.

Yea or Nay??????

First check to see what material it is.....then check with local kitchen counter dealer about polishing it. Different materials call for different polishing if it can be done......on corian I used a 3m gelcoat polish with very good results, it comes in varying grits. I used the finest for polishing.

Campcop might be talking about 3M Finesse-it II, Finishing Material. Contains on silicone or wax. Comes in quart size. Now, it is pricy, but I use it on clear coats, chrome, and my head light lenses to keep them polished.

I use it only by hand to buff and polish. They mention using a buffing machine on an area 2ft. by 2ft. and I have done that, think I'm just old fashioned. Can see the luster reappear as I work in small areas.

Think that you will find it a vary good surface cleaner. If you can find a body shop or doll-up shop that might us it, and get a little to try on a soft cloth. Use it in an area of the counter that might be along one edge of a wall or behind the stove or sink and see what you think.

Then a coat of wax or good surface sealer / polish to finish the job.

Rich.

PS remember to keep items off the counter or have a rubber shelf pad under things, they will side off very easy !!!

Most solid surface can be sanded with progressively finer grits of sandpaper, then grey scotch brite pad, follow with compound or wax if higher shine is required. Clean thoroughly between grits/ compound/ wax. As always test on inconspicuous area first.