nekiatap

Mt. Rushmore Area Weather In Fall

Question

Need weather update from South Dakota folks on which part of August/September is an okay time to visit Mount Rushmore.

We RV'rs don't want to run into winter weather if at all possible. We can do August 10th-September 15th?

5 answers to this question

I'm also interested in what the weather is like in the area in early-mid September. We are new Roadtrek owners and are planning to head out west in September 2013. Thanks!

We were in Rapid City in early August 2012. It was 100+ every day, and usually a late afternoon thunderstorm. I suggest you look up the typical weather the time of year you plan on visiting, but the summers are a lot hotter than you would think.

Steer clear of the Black Hills in August. That is when they hold the Motor Cycle Rally in Sturgis and there can be as may as 600,000 motor cyles in the area during the Rally time. Late September is not a bad time to visit.

Mt Rushmore is a wonderful place to visit. After you see it in tha daylight please go back at night. It is awesome at night.

Have a great trip.

Herman

I know its outside your target, but just for reference we were in western SD, Black Hills, and Mt. Rushmore last year in late October. Extremely pleasant; not crowded at all; cool brisk nights for sleeping, shirtsleeve or very light jacket weather in daytime.

So glad I read these postings! We plan to go to the Black Hills, Crazy Horse and Mt. Rushmore after Labor Day (and family visit in Colorado). Hopefully the hot summer weather is gone. Most probably up there is not humid like in FL, so it might not be so bad for us Floridians!

Should any of you see us, come and say "hello". We have a 28' Concord/Coachment towing a Hundai... and the FMCA plate is on the front bumper.

Safe travels!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL