e.broomfield@verizon.net

Using RV Park Cable TV

There are time when I cannot use my satellite dish and need to use the parks cable TV. I have a 2010 Winnebago Journey Express and when I hook up to the outside cable, using the correct connection on the coach, I cannot figure out how to get the signal to the TV. I am reasonably good at figuring things out and this issue seems to defy a solution. The manual is of little help. Any assistance would be helpful.

Ed

The cable coax must be connected to the tv, and I assume that is. Most newer TV's have an input button on the remote control, and normally on the tv where all the buttons are located. You must set the input to cable, then go to settings in the menu selection. Once you find this, go to cable, and select autoscan channel selection. Choose this setting, and let your tv scan for available channels. When this completes, your tv probably will set itself to the lowest channel number. You should be able to go to any cahnnel from there. Also in looking through the manual, look for any possible switch that must be set to cable. Hope that this is helpful.

Happy trails, Kay

This is pretty basic. On my HR MH we have a wall plate from Winegard. It has a 12v socket, a lighted push button and a 75ohm male connection. When the pushbutton is pushed and lit it activates an over-the-air amplifier for the TVs. When it is not pushed it allows the cable signal to get to the TVs. Hope yours is similar. I've forgotten this several times out!

Your 2010 MH should have TV’s with multiple input modes.

If the cable is hooked up properly use the TV’s remote to select the correct input. It should be TV as opposed to SAT or
DVD. It will depend upon the manufacturer of the TV. If you do not have the manual you can probably find it online.

I had problems until I discovered the difference in input modes between TV (cable) and on air TV (the blade antenna)

Can we start with what satellite service you have and what model receiver as well as whether the box as well as your television are High Definition? Then let us know what zip code you are in as well as whether you have a batwing antenna on the roof.

Cable systems in RV parks are minimal as far a quality is concerned and not necessarily in HD. You may find HD channels on your batwing, and if you do, you may be able to hook up your antenna directly to your satellite box. Here is a site that will tell you what is in range of your antenna:

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/

I brought a tv cable from home, indoor hookup.. at the campground, the hookup is outside.  Is there a different tv cable needed for outside hookup?

e. ---

First, welcome as a "poster" to the forum!   I trust you are enjoying your motorhome!

My 2007 motorhome has a male "cable input" connection located in the left rear power cord storage compartment (also has an old fashioned telephone land line input socket!).  I use RV park cable service during all of my weekend adventures.   For LSU football games, I connect my portable  "Carryout" Winegard satellite dish to the "satellite in" male coax connector on the roof of my motorhome and crank-up the Winegard bat-wing antenna.   In the entertainment center inside my motorhome I have a Winegard Entertainment Selector box that allows me to chose which signal (cable, satellite or antenna) goes to the main living area and bedroom televisions --> http://www.2040-parts.com/used-rv-motorhome-camper-winegard-entertain ment-select-box-pn-vs-050

I'd think your motorhome would have  a similar "cable input" connection in your docking station area / power cord storage area and you would also have some type of "video source" selector box / controller in your entertainment center / command center.

For the broad members of the forum, for my motorhome manufactured in 2007, Damon (Thor) had not fully migrated to "digital" technology of HD televisions, DVD/Blue Ray, etc. and didn't include more expensive "higher tech" controls (hence the video selector box).   I still have the original 19" diagonal analog television that is "custom framed" into corner section of the bedroom cabinets.  I've yet to decide how best to replace that heavy hunk of junk with a HD television AND make that modification look attractive.  For now, I have a dead, heavy analog TV taking up valuable space.   One good thing about a 2007 model is no DEF, particulate filter, etc. :)  I guess simpler is better. :unsure:

Pazahora, when connected to the park cable you will need to have each TV search (within the TV menu) for local channels, make sure they are set to Cable not antenna and if you have a switch box, make sure each TV is switched to Cable, not antenna.

Mike, we have the original TV in the bedroom still, I don't want to pull it as the replacement TV of today will not fit correctly. I would much rather have a box that would convert the signal to analog for that TV for when we are using the antenna. If someone can provide a link for a gadget like that please do so.

Gee, I have the same in my coach, for my Razor (Bat wing died).  Yes it's off when I'm on my DIRECTV !  Never new that to be called a "Power Supply"....guess I'm a Dummy!

The antenna amplifier is located in the head of the antenna and needs 12V power to turn on.  The wall plate switch is the source of that 12V power and that why it's called a power supply.  It is also an A/B switch allowing you to swap between the OTA antenna and Cable input.  No one is calling anyone a dummy but thought some would be interested.

Mine is also called an amplifier and must be off for cable. Another point while discussing RV park cables is that many connections are badly corroded, damp or just plain dirty, a shot of WD40 on the connection before attaching your coax generally improves reception. 

Tom --

Your response is what I love about the forum and the creative ideas shared! 

I've encountered several corroded male coax connectors on the docking post at RV parks / resorts in south Texas / south Louisiana. 

I just connected my cable to male connection and then cursed a bit when trying to disconnect. 

I hadn't thought about giving the cable connection on the docking post a quick wipe with WD-40 to make my life easier / improve signal quality.

Bill is correct. The actual amplifier is in the head of the antenna.  However, most manuals call that switch "amplifier," 

So what's in a name - they both do the same thing, turn on - amplifier - turn off - cable.   The little light is the key. Light on, amplifier on. Light off, amplifier off.

Semantics, semantics!

My 2016, Dynamax DX3 motorhome came with two Samsung Smart LED TVs.  We use them primarily for over the air and RV Park cable.  At one RV Park, the manager said I needed to use his remote for reception from his cable provider.  I tried the remote on one of our TVs.  The remote did not get me a clear picture.  Worse, I can no longer receive a clear cable picture with any RV Park cable.  Over the air and Internet reception is not affected.   The bedroom TV is not affected.  Anyone know what might be wrong with my television?

backpacker, make sure if you have a manual switch box for selectable inputs you have the correct button pushed. Also with Smart TV, they are not so smart, I have to go into the menu and let the TV do a channel search on Air and or cable (depending on what that Campground set up is). For whatever reason even if that channel number is in the memory from before it still wont see it unless I run through a channel search after a power down. 

9 minutes ago, jleamont said:

backpacker, make sure if you have a manual switch box for selectable inputs you have the correct button pushed. Also with Smart TV, they are not so smart, I have to go into the menu and let the TV do a channel search on Air and or cable (depending on what that Campground set up is). For whatever reason even if that channel number is in the memory from before it still wont see it unless I run through a channel search after a power down. 

Ditto Joe, also make sure that your cable hookup coax wire is good, I have had those go bad and still get reception partially, or as described snowey. Make sure that any replacement is RG6U, anything else is destined to show a poor picture.