Sign in to follow this  
CrazyCruzers

Breakaway Switch Actuation: SMI Air Force One System

I have the SMI Air Force One system installed on my Jeep Wrangler. The system was supplied with a coiled airline for brake control and a coiled safety cable to actuate the breakaway switch. When the Jeep is hooked up ready to be towed, both the airline and the safety cable appear to be approximately the same length. Both are shorter than the 10,000-pound safety cables connecting the car to the coach. In the event of a catastrophic failure of the tow bar, both the airline and the breakaway cable would be stretched to the limit before the safety cables were fully stretched. This means the breakaway switch would activate (a good thing), but the air line might be broken before the breakaway switch activates and certainly before the safety cables reach the end. My question is this: For the Air Force One system, must the airline remain intact for the system to work in the event of tow bar failure? Should it be the longest connection?

Your system has a reserve tank that will pressure up when you first hit your brakes after hooking up. SMI amd M&G will instruct you to hit your brakes several time after hooking up.

In the case of a separation of the coach and toad :o the brake away switch will close a solenoid that closes off the air from the coach and open the air to your toads brakes. This will stop your toad

I hope this helps and that you never have to find out whether it works or not.