MONTIE

Buying a Class A motorhome

We are considering a new motorhome, and there are some great deals out there in the Class As. I am looking at a Gulf Stream Tourmaster, 42 feet long. I was hoping that here was a site that would discuss the quality of the different models. Please comment on this particular coach, if that is appropriate for the forums.

We are considering a new motorhome, and there are some great deals out there in the Class As. I am looking at a Gulf Stream Tourmaster, 42 feet long. I was hoping that here was a site that would discuss the quality of the different models. Please comment on this particular coach, if that is appropriate for the forums.

Montie,

While I am sure quite a few will reply about "quality", almost by definition, it will be SUBJECTIVE.

Perhaps a better approach is to ask SPECIFIC QUESTIONS that relate to quality and even more importantly, the "must have" things that you are looking for in your next coach.

A few thought starters:

Rear vs side radiator.

Sufficient CCC

Particular interior layout that you like

Engine -- actually pounds GCW/HP is more important

Another approach is to post what coach you have now and what you like and don't like about it. Then others may be able to direct you toward coaches that more closely meet your "want list".

Good hunting.

Brett Wolfe

This coach has almost everything I would like, but as you already know, some coaches are better as for warranty and quality construction. I just wanted to know if this model and type has a great deal of problems and recalls.

One of my favorite methods of determining overall quality is to go look at some old ones of the same model/manufacturer.

When they get to be 10-15 years old, you can REALLY tell a difference:

15 year old solid wood cabinets are very different from wrapped press board cabinets.

Drawers on bearinged slides are very different from those on plastic slides.

Gel coat FG is very different from Filon.

Another factor that I relate to quality is ease of service -- how accessible did the coach maker make the things you routinely need to service. Do you have to stand on your head and have two people to change a fan belt, or is it an easy 5 minute job. Where are the fuel filters located? Can the air dryer be serviced easily, or is it installed above the rear axle? This is important if you do it yourself. It becomes CRITICAL if you are paying others over $100 an hour to do it.

Another, often overlooked difference is documentation. When we were shopping for our present coach (LONG time ago), I asked to see a wiring diagram. Most salesmen looked like a "Deer caught in the headlights". But, I suspect the number of coaches that have zero electrical issues over their lifetime is very low. A wiring diagram will save you/an expensive technician countless hours of diagnostic time. And yes, each Foretravel comes with a wiring diagram in the owners manual.

Brett Wolfe

Montie,

I have bought many RVs over many years and the only mistake I feel I have made is buying a large Class A with slideouts on each side, making me near 15 feet wide and effectively blocking me from probably well over 1/2 of the RV parks in the U.S. That leaves no room for the toad, or much of anything else as lot of parks are 18 foot wide.

My other concern is the Workhorse Chassis, which is now embroiled in a bitter brake recall campaign. It seems most of our motorhomes are unsafe to drive now and with 49,000 of them to put new brakes on, I wonder what year we can take our next vacation.

Warranty is really important. Our current coach had 145 warranty items the first two years and yet Rexhall made good on every one of them, so the anufacturer's reputation is really critical regarding warranty issues.

Best regards,

Bebop Bill

Warranty is really important. Our current coach had 145 warranty items the first two years and yet Rexhall made good on every one of them, so the anufacturer's reputation is really critical regarding warranty issues.

Best regards,

Bebop Bill

Bill brings up a good point-- perhaps we should expand on it.

There is a tendency for many to confuse two TOTALLY UNRELATED THINGS.

1. BUILD QUALITY

2. QUALITY SERVICE TO FIX THINGS THAT WERE NOT BUILT TO "QUALITY STANDARDS" IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Please, evaluate them separately. Both are important, but if QUALITY is what you are seeking, a quality product is VERY DIFFERENT from a lesser quality product where the manufacturer graciously fixes the problems.

Brett Wolfe

I agree totally. It is far better to purchase a quality product that doesn't need to go back to the dealer time after time to fix things that should have been done right in the first place. You are really talking about "dealer quality" on the fixes. But it is also not likely to have NO issues out of the factory. That's where HONEST feedback from other owners come in.

For a Cass A it is also important to know if you are going to tow and what size your toad is going to be. Most gassers only tow up to 5,000 lbs. That's not a very big vehicle.

Certainly buying a high-end, quality coach is a big decision. You certainly want to invest your money in one that's going to give you years of good service and comfortable living. My wife and I were fortunate to have a close friend who has lived in many of these coaches and now has his own business selling them. We settled on a 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder that he recommended. It has been a wonderful coach and is certainly much nicer than anything we had owned previously. It's great that you are seeking advice from a group of people that have a lot of personal experience to share in this area. I know it meant a lot to us to have someone who knew what to look for in a quality coach. Good luck in you search! I hope you're as happy with your choice as we are with ours.

Hi Montie:

Thanks for the question. My wife and I have been researching a number of coaches to buy a class A rig. Whenever we find one we thought we liked, we then found another manufacturer that we liked better. It becomes a very confusing search. I wish someone would publish a book that listed all of the specification of each manufacturer and the advantages and disadvantages of each coach.

When one spends the amount of money to buy a quality coach, one wants to know they are buying quality to last. What I would like to know, has someone published such a book or article?

Maynard and Ellie LeBrun

2007 Fleetwood Jamboree GT, Class C

Hidden Valley Lake, California

Look for the annual buyers guide issue (magazine). Any large book store should have them. I can't remember the exact title but we used it when we were beginning our search. There are only so many things they can compare but it gives you a starting place to do some eliminating and make your search a little more focused. It is also good for listing all the possibilities so you don't overlook one just because you haven't heard of it.

We also used the web reference above. It is a paid service I believe but well worth the money spent when you consider the size of the purchase. We felt it made us much more knowledgeable consumers. Their information discusses safety, weight, maneuverability, and lots of other things to consider.

As you begin to look at various motor homes, salesmen are also good sources of information. They will emphasize what is good about their product but it does give you something to consider as you look at other motor homes and will help you ask questions.

And as you gain knowledge, ask SPECIFIC QUESTIONS here. There are literally millions of miles of motorhome experience here.

The more specific your questions, the more factual/less opinion-based the answers.

For example, a general question such as "what is a good 40' DP" will generate mostly "opinion" answers that will likely do you little good in determining what is the best coach for YOU.

But ask a question such as what coaches come with XYZ layout-- we really like that floorplan or what kind of performance can we expect from XYZ engine in an XYZ weight coach will give you more meaningful answers.

Brett Wolfe

Montie,

Newbie to FMCA, but not new to motorhoming. I would also suggest entering the model your enterested in into Google and read as many of the threads you can before you fall asleep.... Some will be from the manufacturer, some will be from camper sales and some will be from forums who have both positive and negative post about your particular model.

This simple method seems to narrow down what your looking for in a pretty quick way. Good luch and have fun.

BounderFreddy

After we bought our first MH, from an individual (death of her husband), we had lots of questions. I looked at so many coaches I got cross eyed. But one thing I found to be true were the salesman. I can only speak of used coaches since that was all I was looking at. I found that the majority of the salemen were very easy going and would answer any of your questions honestly. So if I were to give give you any advice is to look at what you like and ask many questions. There is not anyone out there that after buying their coach, they thought "what have I done". But then you look again and say "I did good". Good luck and enjoy what ever you decide on.

We are looking for some advice on buying a used motorhome...We are going to look at a 96 Georgie Boy and also found a 96 Fleetwood Flair. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these units?

Our first rig was a '94 Fleetwood Flair 30H. While we enjoyed this rig and didn't have too many issues with it other than normal it is not what I consider to be a real quality rig. It is an entry level RV and I would keep an eye out for water intrusion and delamination, poor caulking, the rubber roof condition, etc. Our entry door rotted from the inside out as it was just an internal wood frame that can wick up water if not sealed corectly. I ended up completely taking it apart and using thin wall 1" square steel tube to weld a new frame for it and put it back together. That door was as solid as anything you could find on a $2M dollar rig! As suggested above, do a search for "Fleetwood Flair Review" and look through all the forums where people might be talking about them.

I have no direct experience with GB, however our friends have had two of them and my uncle owned one back in the 80's and I am not personally impressed with them. One thing my friend really doesn't like about his two is that they tend to be "low riders" compared to other rigs so they can drag the rear end much worse leaving driveways and parking lots with any dip in them.

Good luck on your search.

A few months ago We purchased our first MH that we bought from a local dealer. We looked at a lot of MH's and finally decided on an older diesel. I was very nervous purchasing something this old (98 Endeavor). But it had everything we wanted. I was impressed with the quality of this old rig with the 275 Cummins, MD3060 6 speed Allison, gelcoat, tile floors, freightliner chassis, 7500 Onan Diesel Gen. The ride is smooth and quiet. My last trip was 3000 mile with a low end mileage of 10.2 and a high of 11.6 while towing a 4000 lb toad. I am very satisfied.

One of my requirments for buying was having enough money left to install a 20 x 41 cover right beside our house. We have already used it for lodging when we had too much company. So it acts as a room addition when necessary.

Other things I looked for in MH was servicing. It is easier to change my MH oil and filter than my truck or car. Love to work on it.