jrduncan@shaw.ca

Search For Mid Size Suv - Flat Towable

We are presently towing a Chev Blazer 4x4 which has been a great tow vehicle for us. We are in the process of looking for a replacement. We would like to get an opinion on what mid sized SUV is most widely used and has the least amount of problems. We also understand that any SUV that has a standard trans. is flat towable, is that a safe assumption?

Thanks J&S

We are presently towing a Chev Blazer 4x4 which has been a great tow vehicle for us. We are in the process of looking for a replacement. We would like to get an opinion on what mid sized SUV is most widely used and has the least amount of problems. We also understand that any SUV that has a standard trans. is flat towable, is that a safe assumption?

Thanks J&S

If a member of FMCA, use these guides to determine what is towable 4 wheels down:

http://www.fmca.com/index.php/magazine/tow...04-towing-index

Brett Wolfe

We have been towing a 2005 Honda Pilot and it has been a great toad. The only requirements listed for the Honda is to run the gear shift through all the gears several times after towing and before driving. We recently bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler and are in the process of getting it tow ready. We just thought it would be fun having a Jeep to run around in on our travels. :rolleyes:

Steve & Nancy

2007 Tiffin Phaeton

post-3787-1249508749_thumb.jpg

Guest Wayne77590

I'm towing a 2007 Saturn Vue. High ground clearance. Hook it up, put it in neutral, pull a fuse under the hood and put the ignition in ACC. It has 10,000 towed miles and no problems, so far.

We are towing a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. It couldn't be easier to set up to tow. You hook up the towbar, turn the key to "on", put the transmission in neutral, push a button on the console until the "Transfer case in neutral message" lights up, put the transmission back in park and remove the key! Then you are on your way (after hooking up your braking system!!!) The Jeep has 32k driven miles and another 18K towed miles on it and the only service that it has needed is oil changes and tire rotations. :rolleyes::)

I'm an experienced RV'er but new to FMCA and motorcoaching. I am looking for a midsized SUV as a toad. Consumer Reports tells me that the Toyota Highlander is the best vehicle that you can buy----period. The Toyota RAV4 is also high on their list. But neither are even listed on the FMCA towable list, to be able to tow or not to tow. What's the story??

George Young

We're towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4dr. There's plenty of leg room in the back seat, if you need it, and it's amazingly tight, even at freeway speeds (Nothing like those old Willys I had years ago!!) It will also tow our 23' boat.

I've installed a simple blade switch on one of the battery terminals to disconnect the battery from any drain while the vehicle is being towed and I wired one (there are two) of the dash 12v recepticles into the towing wire harness. It's 'hot' when the motor home ignition is on. This recepticle is used to power the Blue Ox braking system. It was a simple matter to install a brake light kit into the OEM housings. They are completely separate from the vehicle system, wired only into the tow harness. You can not tell they are there.

It takes about 10 minutes to hook up and get down the highway and there are very few limitations on where we can explore, given the capability of our 'toad'.

This is just one of the many good choices you have.