65villager

New To The PD4104 Motorcoach World

Hi All

I just bought a 1960 PD 4104 Motorcoach conversion from a gentleman in Washington State.

The coach was converted in the late 70 early 80's.

The Vin # PD41044817 and it has a FMCA # 23181.

Any history on this bus would be great. It has been setting for 8 years so I'm redoing things that need replacing.

I hope to have it back on the road next summer.

Thanks Allen

Allen,

My name is Jon and I am working on tracking down all the 4104's left in the world.

My records are at home and I will respond with that info tonite.

Your serial number tells me it is a 1960 coach.

I also can provide you with free manuals and sources for bus parts.

My email is jusle@aol.com

I am an FMCA member and with the Western GM chapter.

The 4104 is a great old coach. Being converted in the late 70's, early 80's, is a plus, as you will have the starting places already in place. You will surely have a lot of work ahead of you. Make sure that all electrical is good for todays standards.

The plumbing will need to be checked thoroughly. Updates to the above mentioned will be well worth your while. There is a book called bus converters bible, it is well worth reading, to get yourself up to speed on how to get going. Of course, though you didn't mention it, you may have done much of this kind of work before. If you already are familiar with coach conversions, then good luck on getting it back on the road next summer. Looking forward to seeing any progress pictures in the future.

Happy trails,

Kay

Hi,

I'm not sure how active this topic is but I just purchased a 1960 General Motors PD 4104. This coach appears to be in excellent condition with the exception of the power plant. It has a Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA with a Allison V730 transmission. The engine was over heated and the heads are cracked. I decided to remove the entire power plant and perform a major overhaul myself. The transmission is in excellent condition and will not need much. The entire coach was converted to a motor home in the late 70's early 80's. The coach has quite a few up-grades, full kitchen, refrigerator, stove & oven, micro wave, heating system, gray & black water systems, (2) Carrier roof top mounted A/C units, new invertor, Bathroom & shower, New tires, New Brakes, New batteries, New Radiator,(2) year old Onan 6.5 KW generator, Satilite system, solar panel to keep the batteries charged, power steering. I lifted the coach up in the air and inspected the entire under carraige and with the exception of one air bag it's in excellent condition. This is what I was told relative to the history:

1st owner: USAF Academy in Colorado Springs Co. 1960 to 1976.

2nd owner deceased: 1976 to 1981: converted unit to a coach.

3rd owner deceased: 1981 to 1998: converted engine from inline 6-71 with std transmission to 6V92TA / Allison V730 trans.

4th owner living: 1998 to 2014: added many items and used the coach on a regular basis until the engine oveheated.

I love the coach and intend on getting it back on the road better than ever. I would like to know if anyone knows the history of this vin number: PD41044993.

Thanks,

BlackMan,

I monitor this thread.

4104-4993 was originally purchased by US Army Special Services at Fort Bragg in North Carolina.

Firstly owners usually held buses 10 years on average.

What is your city and state? I have a lot of free 4104 stuff I can share with you.

My email address is jusle@aol.com

Send your email address and I will send them to you. I wrote an article for Bus Conversion Magazine on my 4104 search and a 4104 issue will be published sometime this year.

Jon

To BuickMan above - As much as you like the 6V-92 with the V730 automatic, well....I'm a purist who understands the value of OEM assemblies. Best power combo was what it had and should be returned to - the inline 6-71 with Spicer 7141-A 4-speed manual transmission. The 71s can take more punishment than the 92s can, and the Spicer get's the job done without wasting fuel.

Hello to all,

I recently purchased a 1960 PD4104 4072 bus. Do not know anything about its past. The inside has been converted and I am in the process of redoing the outside.

I am looking for any or all information to convert this to power steering. Any literature and or pictures would help.

My email is troy2448@verizon.net.

Thank you to all.

I just purchased a 1958 PD4104 conversion (PD41043853). Any info that anyone could provide on it's backstory would be greatly appreciated, as would any manuals!

Clark

Clark,

PD 4104-3853 is a 1958 coach originally purchased by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway company. It was part of a 10 coach order. Original fleet # of B-150.

I have free manuals and other 4104 related links. My email address isjusle@aol.com

I have written several articles for Bus Conversion Magazine on my search.