Sign in to follow this  
johntelling

Sacramento, CA to Ferndale, CA

Question

I will be driving a 40ft mh from Sacramento to Ferndale, which is close to Fortuna. Looks like I will be taking 101 most of the way, but:

Is Hwy 20, which goes past Clear Lake over to 101 close to Willits a good way to go? I have been told it is rather twisty, and I would be better driving down to Vallejo and going over on Hwy 37 to 101

Thank!!

7 answers to this question

I've driven my diesel pusher with dingy on both #16 and #20, and prefer #20. It's a good road all the way. I will be going up #5 to Williams, #20 to #101 and on to Oregon next week so may see you along the way. We enjoy stopping at the little towns along the way and at Eureka we turn left to Samoa for a great meal at the Cookhouse. Even spent the night in their parking lot so we could have breakfast there the next morning.

Bob

I am also planning a trip from Visalia to Oregon in August and you suggested using SR 20 from Williams rather than going across the delta on Hwy 12, to Hwy 101 in a response to my post a couple weeks ago. I appreciate your response to my previous post. I am curious where you like to stop the first night. If we were to drive 250-300 miles the first day that would put us in the Williams area the first night. I see there are several interesting CG's around Clear Lake but I haven't seen anything in the Williams area.

John, we are looking forward to being in the Fortuna and Eureka areas for a few days on our way to Oregon. Hope you have a great time!

Thanks to both of you.