Sign in to follow this  
PhaetonDriver

A Trip Through The Badlands Lead To The Bad Newell Owners Rally

My wife & I happened to stay at a resort in Spearfish, SD (Resort was Fantastic) that was hosting a Newell Motorhome Rally. On at least 5 occasions, I was eyeball to eyeball with several Newell Owners and they EACH turned away after I made the typical, "Good Morning", How you doing?" I talked with several other NON-Newell owners at the resort and each had the same experience.

Also at this resort, were several Prevost motorHome owners there enjoying South Dakota's beautiful surroundings as were we. They (Prevost Owners) were down-to-earth and actually WAVED at everyone.

The Newell owners think they're at the top of the food chain when actually they have outdated, broken down, UGLY motorhomes. WHEN we move up from our 2012 40' Motorhome we WILL NOT even look at the Newell line strictly because of their customers self-centered, self-righteous attitude.

Edited by tmoning
Namecalling is against forum rules.

Maybe it was a good thing they didn't talk to you?

You may of "caught" something :lol:

We ran into someone like that last weekend camping...they actually told campground owners to not park us beside them :o

The entire campground came through our Residential Vehicle over the course of the weekend; except for that one vehicles owners....their loss is how we looked at it

Wow, I am stunned at this comment. We are at the Newell Rally at Elkhorn Ridge and have met and talked with many non Newell owners here....in fact we have 3 Prevost owners, a Bluebird owner, and 3 Foretravel owners here as part of our rally.....they don't think we are snobs at all. We own a 1982 Newell, and certainly don't think we are anything special. We certainly think our coaches are special, and well built. Most of the Newells here are late 90's into mid 2000's.....certainly way above the class of our 31 year old Newell. We spent about an hour talking to a gentleman who owns one of the rare 47 foot Newells....a 2007....last night. At 47' he is 11' longer than our 36' coach. We had an open house for our 1982 Newell, and lost track of the late model Newell owners who came by "ooohing and awwwing" at our humble abode. I think sometimes people are predisposed to profile others based on their own preconceived notions, and it is a shame that they would take the time to denigrate, and insult a group of people they know nothing whatsoever about.

At one time I had the same impression this gentleman has, but about Prevost owners, but once I actually spent time talking with them I found out they were just like everyone else.

If you are still here (today is Thursday) please walk over to site 106 and let's sit down and talk.....I will be more than happy to introduce you to dozens of NON snobby Newell owners. The question is, are you willing to have your mind changed?

Here are some of the "broken down" coaches:

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

IMAG2319.jpg

IMAG2323.jpg

IMAG2324.jpg

IMAG2329.jpg

1000421_645974185431568_1005550518_n.jpgOUR HUMBLE ABODE

My name is Clarke Hockwald, 1982 Newell, Site # 106, Elkhorn Ridge RV Resort, Phone # 951-236-5312, email: chockwald@gmail.com........June 27th, 2013

Clarke - Thank You for the reply and insight! In our Coach travels we have met & made life friends all across the US & Canada & have never had an experience even close to what we experienced as I outlined earlier. We pulled out yesterday morning after our 4 days in Spearfish!

I appreciate the olive branch and never hold onto the unpleasant things in life, it's too short! However, it is what it is and over the 4 days and NUMEROUS face to face attempts in conversations only to have them turn their backs - Enough was Enough! I purposely sought out several other Non-Newell owners that were at the park and they had they same experience. One had shared that they come to ELKHORN every summer and have seen/experienced this type of treatment in the past as well, so it wasn't just me!

I'm sure you be on the inside brings a different perspective, and I can tell from your reply that I wished we had met.

I'm moving on, life is too short! PLEASE feel free to share these points with whomever you choose as an outsider's experience!

Too bad we didn't have the chance to meet. There is no point in arguing about who ignored you, or what exactly happened. All I do know for sure is that to a man and women this group of 31 coaches, which includes 3 Prevost owners, 3 Foretravel owners, 1 Bluebird owner, and 2 Class B owners, are regular, down to earth people who would give you the shirt off your back whether, or not you owned a Newell. The only way you can really know anyone, their motivations, or character is to actually walk up, shake their hand, introduce yourself and talk. It's all too easy to let mistaken first impressions color your opinion unfairly of anyone regardless of their state in life, or what RV they happen to own at the time. The one thing I have learned living on the road in our coach for these past 17 months is not to "judge a book by its cover"....it's the worst mistake one can make in life, and the number of people I have gotten to know, and now count as friends, on the road would have been drastically reduced. Please don't reduce people you don't know to a cliche....I think, based on the tone of your reply, you are a way better man than that.

Safe travels my friend........

Hi phaetondriver,

I too am shocked at you perception of the Newell crowd. I am also part of the informal rally. I profusely apologize if you did not get the courtesy of a response from any of our gang. I am sorry that you chose to post a desultory comment after you left. All of us would have welcomed the chance to meet you and your family. Most of us have spent the week helping each other with various issues. We would have gladly helped you also.

Clarke is kind, well worded, and diplomatic. Me, not so much.

You chose to call us out on a public forum, but after you left. You posted comments about what we were thinking and why we snubbed you. That is an amazing talent to know what other people are thinking. Please just react to the facts that you posted. You attempted to speak with five of the 70 or so folks at the rally, and they did not respond. I am sorry that happened. I have no recollection of you approaching any of the picnic table gatherings and introducing yourself.

Thanks to FMCA I have your plate number. As we complete our tour of the west I will look for you in every park and try to reach out and make your friendship

My wife and I have camping for 14 years, started traveling in a pull trailer and moving up to coaches, we have never experienced problems with other campers, have stayed in state and federal parks, fly by night and up scale resorts, have found people we have met to be most enjoyable to be around. I try not to interfer when I see group camping. I speak, they can speak back or not, this does not bother me. There are times when I like to be left alone and I am sure there are those who wish the same.

Happy camping to all, like the old saying---you win some, you lose some and some get rained out.

I happened to read the OP's post before it was edited and can honestly say I was shocked that a mature individual would post such insulting names and comments about a group of people he has no information about. Wow, to think that approximately 70 people and all owners of a certain brand of coach are snobs just because a few people didn't talk to him? If I acted the same way towards the people that didn't return my greeting as I am walking around various parks I guess I would be a bitter person too. But I don't since I realize some people aren't outgoing (I certainly am not) and other people may have a lot on their mind at the moment.

We are a varied group of Newell owners, we have all purchased used models. We have all done quite a bit of research and decided to buy a Newell for a variety of reasons. Most because we recognized the value. We are not snobs, some of us are full timing, some part timing, some just take a trip occasionally. But we are no different than other people.

We have all been very busy with seminars, helping out others, sightseeing, ATV riding.

Please don't judge a group of people based on a few instances that are probably not what you think they are.

I am currently sitting in my 2013 42' Winnebago. But next week I will be in the Black Hills area camping in some campground with my wife in a 2 man tent. Makes me wonder how you would treat me & my wife. As stated first impressions may not be what they appear to be. Just thinking we appear to be the 180' difference from the motor home owners. Life is funny. It doesn't matter what you drive or where you live or what you live in.