Sign in to follow this  
mattsez

Do I Have Enough Power?

I am driving a 1998 36 foot Dutch Star with a 454 gas engine. Finally fixed my power loss while warm problem ( computer controlled EGR....oh ya good idea...) and were looking forward to longer and longer trips.

My wife and i purchased a 1973 MG convertible to hual behind us, however I'm concerned that on long grades, I'll be beating my poor engine and / or trans. She runs great, but shes no turbo diesel .

Recently went to Hawking Hills Ohio ( without car) and she didn't like the short steep hills with no room to gain speed before the next. Did not have to drop into 1st......but wide open in second more than a few times.

Let me know what ya think....and thank you for your time!!!

Such is life with a gasser. :D One of the advantages of the turbo diesel is that the drive is much more relaxing. No engine at the red line, very little down shifting...just a nice quiet drive.

On edit...I forgot to answer your question. Yes, you have enough power, if you can stand what goes with it.

How much weight the coach can safely carry and tow is a function of engine, transmission, chassis, tires and brake systems.

We had a 36 foot coach with a 454. Fully loaded at roughly 18,000 lbs, it was capable of towing an additional 2,000lbs for a total of 20,000 lbs. Assuming similar weight and tow ratings, the MG is probably within the original capability of the coach, but checking the weight ratings would be a good thing to do. If within the ratings, then it's just a case of your ability and comfort using the gears and brakes to negotiate the hills.

Assuming your Dutch Star has an automatic transmission, the engine and transmission will run cooler NOT in overdrive if you are near the weight limit and when climbing.

Towing my Silverado with my 32 foot diesel pusher, I have a 5.9 ISB Cummins, at about 22,500 lbs I have a little less power than you do so I'm not quite as fast as you going up a hill. However I do get between 10 and 11 mpg instead of 7 to 9 mpg.

In the trucking business we had a saying "There is no substitute for raw horsepower" the same goes for MH's the more power the easier the trip. The Beaver has 525 and at times I wish it had more. This thing loves mountains up or down makes no difference and towing the Honda don't know its back there have to check the camera every now and then.