Sign in to follow this  
tom538

Can A 50 Amp Surge Protector Be Used On 30 Amp Power Pedestal?

The primary power cord on my Fleetwood Expedition has a 50amp plug. When visiting parks with 30 amp power sources I connect a short adapter cable which has a 30amp plug. If I purchase a 50 amp surge protector can I use it in parks that only have 30amp power by using my 30amp adapter cable or do I have to have a separate 30 amp and 50 amp protector to cover both possibilities . These devices are not cheap so I hope that the larger. 50 amp unit can cover both situations.

The 50 amp surge suppressor should work in both cases. It won't know whether your plugged into an adapter or not. If all your stuff works using the 30A adapter, then the only differences between feeding the coach with a 50 amp connection or a 30 amp adapter is:

1. Your total available amps is reduced from 100 to 30.

2. The 30 amp feed is single phase instead of double phase.

Neither item should effect whether or not the surge suppressor functions. However, since electronic gizmos can be persnickety, to be certain, you could email or call the tech support of the surge suppressor you intend to purchase.

That's good news. I plan to buy the 50 amp unit. Thank you for al the input. I have found these forums to be a very valuable part of my FMCA membership.