rojoco10

Towing 2012 Ford Fusion SE

For all wishing to tow the 2012 Ford Fusion SE I would like to advise you that you cannot tow this vehicle with all 4 wheels down. We unfortunately learned the hard way. When we bought the vehicle in Nov of 2012 we asked the question several times to ensure we could tow the vehicle. The manual said we could as well as the Key Product Specifications. Well, Ford printed a 3rd version of the owners manual and did not send owners a copy or any notification that we could not tow this vehicle. The new owner manual reads "FRONT WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES CAN NOT BE FLAT TOWED (ALL WHEELS ON THE GROUND) AS VEHICLE OR TRANSMISSION DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.

This has now cost us dearly since we paid to have the Fusion set up with the Blue Ox system and the cost of the vehicle. We also purchase a vehicle that could be towed to the tune of $12,000. And, now it will cost us to put the Blue Ox system on the new vehicle so we can tow it (another $2800 dollars).

Being retired and on a budget this was not what we wanted to do. Bottom line we are out big bucks and to only make it right we had to do what we had to do so we could travel.

Please consider this as advisory information and hopefully the same thing will not happen to someone else.

Ron & Jo

THANKS FOR THIS POST. WE HAVE A 2012 FUSION THAT WE BOUGHT IN DEC. 2011. WE WERE TOLD WE COULD TOW 4 WHEELS DOWN GOT THE CAR AND MH ALL SET UP WITH BLUE OX SYSTEM COST US $4500.00.

THEN FORD CHANGED ITS MIND SO WE BOUGHT A TOW DOLLY. THEN WHEN WE HAD THE CAR IN FOR OIL CHANGE AND ASK AGAIN ABOUT TOWING 4 WHEELS DOWN THEY SAID THAT FUSIONS MADE BEFORE JAN 2012 CAN BE TOWED 4 DOWN, THEY CHECKED OUR VIN NUMBER WITH FORD AND YES WE CAN TOW 4 WHEELS DOWN.

WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS TOWED THE FUSION 4 WHEELS DOWN.

WE ARE ALSO RETIRED IT IS A BIG EXPENSE AND HARD ON US WHEN WE HAVE TO UNHOOK THE DOLLY.

DID FORD FIX THE CAR FREE OF CHARGE?

I don't have all the information for the 2012s, but I just purchased a 2013 Fusion Hybrid and it is now well advertised that the Hybrid is the only 4-wheel down tow-able Fusion. I am getting it outfitted with the base plate on Monday and you bet your bu++ I'd be mad as heck if they change their mind after I spend the money on it since it is the main reason I bought it.

THANKS FOR THIS POST. WE HAVE A 2012 FUSION THAT WE BOUGHT IN DEC. 2011. WE WERE TOLD WE COULD TOW 4 WHEELS DOWN GOT THE CAR AND MH ALL SET UP WITH BLUE OX SYSTEM COST US $4500.00.

THEN FORD CHANGED ITS MIND SO WE BOUGHT A TOW DOLLY. THEN WHEN WE HAD THE CAR IN FOR OIL CHANGE AND ASK AGAIN ABOUT TOWING 4 WHEELS DOWN THEY SAID THAT FUSIONS MADE BEFORE JAN 2012 CAN BE TOWED 4 DOWN, THEY CHECKED OUR VIN NUMBER WITH FORD AND YES WE CAN TOW 4 WHEELS DOWN.

WE ARE ALSO RETIRED IT IS A BIG EXPENSE AND HARD ON US WHEN WE HAVE TO UNHOOK THE DOLLY.

If you have a tight budget I would let someone else be the early adopter and them do the testing to see if it will work. It may take a year or so but may save you lots of money.

In 2012 we bought a 2012 Ford Focus. Owners manual was clear that towing 4-down is OK. Follow the battery disconnect procedure. After a few tows of 300 mi.+ each we found that there was a smell like burning clutch plate. Complained to dealer. They researched for a while and found that we needed a computer upgrade. Did that under warrenty. Next several legs of towing everything seems OK.

I HAVE 2010 FORD FUSION I HAVE TOWED IT 4/5 TIMES 3HR PER TRIP 65MILES PER HOUR(NO TROUBLES0 YO WILL NEED A REMCO LUB PUMP AND ANOTHER COOLING PUMP LOW TRSMISSION FLUID PER BULLITION THIS WORKS I GIVE MY WORD

THIS CAN BE DONE I HAVE DONE THIS LUB PUMP COOLER TRANSMISSION FLUID LOW PER SPEC,S AND it will work

SOS THIS CAN BE DONE I HAVE DONE IT MORE THAN ONCE!!! YOU NEED A LUBE PUMP ADJUST TRANSMISSION FLUID PER FORD AND A 3nd cooler up front!!! this works and is worth the money.