Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Roof AC Units and Hail Storms

While attending the FMCA Rally in Gillette WY. this mouth, wind driven hail did a job on the roof AC condenser units condenser fins. The back of the units faced the wind driven hail.

The units still work, but with the reduction in air flow their efficiency is affected.

Now that we a back home, I will post some pictures in the Photo Gallery section in the next few days; weather permitting of the damage and how to repair the damage.

Rich

Thanks DD, I have one, so when it stops raining I will be using it.

The comb I have has 6 sizes from 8 to15. One of them should do the trick, the fins are really messed up. Got a feeling it will take some time to make it work efficiently again. It took less then 30 min. to make a real mess. :huh:

Edit-7-2-2013-- Well the fins are bad enough that a fin comb will not open them up, so I used a pocket knife to open each fin one at a time. Got about 80% of one unit done today and that made a big difference.

As I get them opened up I will run a Comb through them and see if I can make them look a little better.

Only 20% left on this one and one more to go. :rolleyes:

Rich.

I had the same problem, but it was not possible to straighten the fins using a fin comb or knife or any other tool. The fins were completely flattened. To straighten them would have been time and/or cost prohibitive. I replaced both units, One of out travel companions had the same issue and replaced both of his units,

We were both parked with the rigs facing toward the East.

Don