duke1942

Monaco/Roadmaster Coolant Surge Bottle

I have a 2003 Monaco Cayman with a Cummins. I have developed leaks (cracks) in my radiator coolant surge bottle. Since it is under pressure and plastic, it is almost impossible to repair. I just found out that a different style replacement made of fiberglass (part # 01806583) costs $208.16, plus another $200.00 to update my hookup from the old style top sensor to the new style replacement with side sensor. Anybody out there experiance the same problem? Any reasonable alternatives or fixes? Thanks.

2003 MONACO CAMELOT---SURGE BOTTLE.pdf

I had similar problems with my Cayman's tank. However, mine isn't under pressure and I just sealed the cracks... no problem now.

Ron

Rich

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that the cool bottle requires plumbing on the bottom and sensors inserted in the top. To complicate the hookup, the bottle is pressurized. Monaco designed the bottle and will not release it for other manufacturers so that Monaco can charge their unconscionable prices. Even worse, they changed the design from top sensors to side sensors which requires new fittings, new sensors, and a new wiring harness. The total to replace the plastic bottle is just a few dollars less than $500, which is so ridiculous that it is hard to even consider without trying a million other repair strategies. Monaco went bankrupt in 2009, so they nearly quit supporting any of us that have models before 2009. The support they do give with parts are a classic case of "gouging." Needless to say, I would never ever purchase another Monaco RV.

Duke, is it a overflow tank?

Should that be the case, then it's not under pressure like an expansion tank. The coolant is forced out from the radiator at the cap area when things heat up, into the overflow tank and is drawn / sucked beck into the radiator when the system cools down.

There is a sensor, I think supplied by the company on another page of there catalog and could very well work. I know I read some info. on them in the catalog. will check it out in the meantime.

Rich.

Rich

It is called a 'radiator coolant surge bottle.' It has a 15 lb radiator-type pressure cap on the top of the bottle and definitely is pressurized. It has electrical lines that come from the coolant level sensor in the top of the bottle to the warning light on my RV dash. The only replacement bottles currently offered by Monaco have different sensors that are mounted on the side of the bottle requiring new plumbing and wiring. The coolant fittings are on the bottom of the bottle. It is a pretty large bottle, more like a tank. There is a picture of it on my original post above. I appreciate your interest in my problem. Thanks.

Andy

Andy, that being the case, then you might try these two links. Think race Car surge tanks might work and they are less then the one you are looking at.

One needs to be creative and these tanks are made out of aluminum and might be adaptable, need to see how to attach the sensor.

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5060864-howe-aluminum-surge-tank.html

http://pitstopusa.com/i-5063621-canton-coolant-expansion-fill-tank.html

My surge tank is above the radiator and then an overflow line runs into the overflow tank. keeping the level at the desired level and then the surge tank is always full.

Rich.

After thought ! could the coolant level sensor be mounted in the overflow tank ?

Rich

The Canton Coolant Expansion Fill Tank was really interesting and has some possibilities to consider. The Howe tank might not be adaptable due to the locations of the fittings, however, both are better than any alternative I have found to date. I do like the fact that they are metal. They may not contain enough volume or be tall enough to accommodate the top mounted sensors on my current bottle, however, I will need to study my current bottle for adaptation. I wonder what other metal coolant tanks these two companies have that might be adaptable? I have heard of some owners having more than one failure of the plastic bottles. I have read about Monaco owners having metal tanks custom made for them as a substitute for the plastic ones offered by Monaco. They are prohibitively expense to have built ($800?). I am definitely encouraged by your research and findings. You have found more than I did in all my research so far. I have a lot more research to do. I patched the bottle by using a hot putty knife to 'smear' the melted plastic over the pin holes in the bottle and then covered the areas with auto tube patches with a strap around the tank to hold the patches in place under the bottle's pressure. A real Rube Goldberg job! It has held for several months so I can't complain.

Andy

Andy,

As a temporary fix I used JB WELD on my tank I sanded the surface and cleaned with acetone. It held with out leaking under pressure. I finally changed mine but it was not as expensive as you have been quoted.

Bill

Bill

The price I stated for the parts was given to me by Monaco parts department within the past 60 days. I have the part numbers and cost per item. I will be happy to quote the prices and part numbers if someone is interested. I posted this thread in hopes that someone could point me to a cheaper source or alternative to replace my bottle. If your replacement was cheaper, where did you get it and how much did it cost? Tell me about your rig and what you had to do to replace it. Thanks.

Andy

Andy,

Not trying to miss lead you. I don’t have a Monaco product-- see my signature. I bought my tank from the local Freightliner shop. I don’t remember the exact price but it was around$150.00. The problem with the plastic tanks is they are not supposed to be exposed to sunlight. The sun shines right on mine through the lovers in the back. I am going to make a cover that will shade it and hopefully protect it.

Mine was a direct replacement. Had to move the sensor from the old one to the new one but not that big of a deal.

You might look at some of the web sites catering to big trucks. Many carry parts at a discount.

Bill

Being in Phoenix AZ, the sun destroyed mine, I could scrape the plastic off with my finger nail!!! After I put on a new one I protected it with an 2 aluminum pie dishes (they came in packs of 2, didnt have a use for the extra one so I used both), the tank cap holds them on. Since I have to park the coach (96 Monaco) always with the rear facing South (and the vents just let the sun pour in, it was also eating the ducting to the air filter) so I decided to use an old political sign to block the vents...works great; I leave it on for short trip but plan to remove it when I get on the Hwy. If you want pictures, PM me via IRV2...handle, arvowl Good Luck Paul

Paul,

I live in upstate NY and use my Monaco for many weekend trips and two one week trips in May and October, all dry camping, so I don't have the same problem as you do. My RV faces west when parked, so the back does get plenty of sun every day. When I finally replace the bottle I may add a shield to protect it if I ultimately use another plastic bottle. I appreciate all the replies, information and suggestions. I guess I have my work cut out for me to continue to research my bottle replacement project and replace my bottle in the spring.

I have winterized my RV and put it away for the winter.

I am leaning toward finding and modifying a metal bottle/tank when I start looking in the spring. I would appreciate more information or experience that anyone has regarding my bottle replacement.

Thanks.

Try this link:http://www.nwrvsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NWRV&Category_Code=05

Scroll to near the bottom of the part list. This is what I used for my 2000 Diplomat. There is a difference in the low coolant sensor relocating to the side. I got this Keith Puckett in Indiana (574-612-4722). MH is in shop now so don't have address. You will have to lengthen the 1/4" line and the elec. wire to the sensor. The part to lengthen are hardware store parts. Hope this helps. Less than $225 total.

That is definitely the bottle for $175.00 versus from Monaco for $208.16. How about the the side sensors? Where did you get them? Right now I have top sensors. Monaco has the side sensors to replace them at $49.50 plus shipping. They claim a new wiring harness for $131.65 is needed to change from a top sensor to a side sensor. You said all it takes was to extend the wires, which makes sense to me. Get back to me about the replacement sensors. Your process and references cuts the cost in half. I can live with that amount. Great info and help! Thanks.

Andy

This may help, go on u-tube and check out Source Engineering, they show a tank they have developed for Monaco motorhomes. The tank is made out of Aluminium and has a site window in it. Hope this helps, smokeater75

Smokeater75 & Wolfe10

WOW! The Source Engineering people are really amazing, as are their offerings. When I called them Jim talked to me for 10 minutes explaining everything about their products. The aluminum surge tank is great and includes the side sensor. They said all I needed to do was to extend the sensor wires about 12" to adjust for the conversion from my existing top sensor setup. The changeover will answer all my problems in that area. They also offer the Ultra Fan. I had been considering getting a fan replacement kit from Cummins for my ISB 275 diesel engine. Cummins offers a two speed fan kit which requires adding a wiring harnes and/or modifications of the existing harness. The Cummins kit is far more expensive than the Ultra Fan, which is also easier to install, with no wiring changes needed. Their other kits that are extremely impressive are the safety enhancing Trailing Arm kit TRA1003 and Ride Enhancement kit REK-203. Thanks for all of your responses, suggestions, and links. Another very strong reason to belong to FMCA.

Andy

Duke, if you have not replaced your coolant tank yet, consider the Source Engineering tank.

My 2008 tank failed. A broken sender wire that sends a low water signal from the tank to the dash contributed to an over heat condition. This all caused a failed head gasket and $10,0000 repair bill! Turned out the wiring issue started when the coach was first built as the support bracket was a poor fit breaking wires.

Good luck on the tank issue and be careful with the plug wiring.

The metal tank has a sight tube to see the water level unlike the plastic you can not see through.

That is definitely the bottle for $175.00 versus from Monaco for $208.16. How about the the side sensors? Where did you get them? Right now I have top sensors. Monaco has the side sensors to replace them at $49.50 plus shipping. They claim a new wiring harness for $131.65 is needed to change from a top sensor to a side sensor. You said all it takes was to extend the wires, which makes sense to me. Get back to me about the replacement sensors. Your process and references cuts the cost in half. I can live with that amount. Great info and help! Thanks.

Andy

I am replacing my surge bottle and it has a side outlet for the level sensor. Where can I purchase a replacement level sensor for my 2001 Monaco Knight? Thanks!

Start by contacting Monaco and ask if they can supply the specifications on the sensor used on the old expansion tank and if they supply one that would fit your replacement tank. You would need the mounting hole / point dimensions of the new tank.

If they do not use one with the proper mounting, then post the data on the OEM sensor along with the opening and mounting information of the new tank.

Maybe one of the members of the forum and offer an option.

The sensors often change resistance or Capacitance when immersed in coolant and this difference is detected by the ECM.

Rich.