duke1942

Monaco/Roadmaster Coolant Surge Bottle

The information you posted, are the part numbers from Monaco? Are they the OEM numbers that need to crossed to one that will fit the new tank?

Rich.

The information you posted, are the part numbers from Monaco? Are they the OEM numbers that need to crossed to one that will fit the new tank?

Rich.

They are Ford part numbers. Found the parts on eBay. Tasca Parts can get both items.

Last summer during my original search for a replacement surge bottle I contacted Monaco/Navistar parts dept. I have a top mounted sensor on my 2003 Monaco Cayman so I asked for all the part numbers to convert it to side sensors since those were the only bottles available. Employee Ed told me the side sensor part #16619129 cost $49.60, a new wiring harness to convert from top sensor to side sensor part #16626487 cost $131.65, new elbows part #19802959 at $4.15 each, and the actual surge bottle part #01806583 at $208.16, plus shipping on each item. From what I have heard the wiring harness ripoff is not needed since all you need to do is extend your sensor wires about 12". I highly recommend that anyone needing to replace their surge bottle consider the aluminum one at Source Engineering (utube video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCv8M-q80Lc

They are really nice people to talk with and their bottle is $425 which already includes the lower side sensor. Look at the utube video and go from there. I was given the link by another earlier posting to my original. In the spring I think I will use one of their bottles so that I can finally solve my problem. Good luck.

I have a 2003 Monaco Cayman with a Cummins. I have developed leaks (cracks) in my radiator coolant surge bottle. Since it is under pressure and plastic, it is almost impossible to repair. I just found out that a different style replacement made of fiberglass (part # 01806583) costs $208.16, plus another $200.00 to update my hookup from the old style top sensor to the new style replacement with side sensor. Anybody out there experiance the same problem? Any reasonable alternatives or fixes? Thanks.

Check with a shop that does plastic welding. Look under plastic in the yellow pages. There used to be a plastic store in Las Vegas that even made rv holding tanks from sheet plastic and welded it together. They are no longer in business but there should be others some where in the country.

The problem with any fixes on the plastic bottle is that you still have the remaining deteriorated bottle that could and most likely will fail at some inopportune time. This is especially predictable since the bottle is under 15 pounds of pressure. It is not like other radiator coolant overflow bottles. The pressure aspect changes the dynamics dramatically. If you haven't already done so, read all the posts back to my original post last summer. There are some really interesting posts, recommendations and advice.

Last summer during my original search for a replacement surge bottle I contacted Monaco/Navistar parts dept. I have a top mounted sensor on my 2003 Monaco Cayman so I asked for all the part numbers to convert it to side sensors since those were the only bottles available. Employee Ed told me the side sensor part #16619129 cost $49.60, a new wiring harness to convert from top sensor to side sensor part #16626487 cost $131.65, new elbows part #19802959 at $4.15 each, and the actual surge bottle part #01806583 at $208.16, plus shipping on each item. From what I have heard the wiring harness ripoff is not needed since all you need to do is extend your sensor wires about 12". I highly recommend that anyone needing to replace their surge bottle consider the aluminum one at Source Engineering (utube video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCv8M-q80Lc

They are really nice people to talk with and their bottle is $425 which already includes the lower side sensor. Look at the utube video and go from there. I was given the link by another earlier posting to my original. In the spring I think I will use one of their bottles so that I can finally solve my problem. Good luck.

The sensor and electrical adapter I bought was $26 each. Check on eBay.

Who was the seller and what did you use as an ebay search?

The electrical adapter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-LOW-COOLANT-LEVEL-WARNING-SENSOR-1995-1998-FORD-F700-1995-1999-FORD-F800-/281220234050?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417a083b42&vxp=mtr

The level sensor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-LOW-COOLANT-LEVEL-WARNING-SENSOR-1998-99-FORD-F800-5-9L-XC4Z-10D968-AA-/230942774428?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c543149c&vxp=mtr

The electrical adapter has 2 wires. Connect the red wire to the wire that went to the original sensor. Connect the black wire to ground. When the sensor is wet it completes the circuit and keeps the "Low Water Level" light OFF. If the sensor gets dry the light comes on.

Duke, Hope your problem is solved. There is a company I saw on the internet that makes that coolant bottle out of stainless I believe. It was a swap ,no big problem. My tank failed and cost thousands to replace head gasket.

Good luck, hope your on the road again. The pressure cap is very important to check and replace a couple of years as well.

Just ordered my tank from Source Engineering, I have the 2nd version (Factory replacement Nylon version) one with the bottom sensor and it is starting to crack and leak where the lines connect to it on top and around the coolant sensor on the side.

Jim at Source was great to work with, thanks for the link and information.

Try Northwest RV Supply in Oregon. They bought out all of Monaco's supply when Monaco went out of business. I have bought things from them not shown on their. Call and ask them if they have the part. I did note that one answer provided their web address, but I would call them.

Jim

Try Northwest RV Supply in Oregon. They bought out all of Monaco's supply when Monaco went out of business. I have bought things from them not shown on their. Call and ask them if they have the part. I did note that one answer provided their web address, but I would call them.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I have bought stuff from them in the past, great people. I installed my Coolant tank from Source last weekend. Nice product a little pricey but it should last and piece of mind is worth it....I guess. While I was back there I replaced a bunch of wire wrapping and covered a few small hoses that were in a location that they could chafe.

My coach already had the OEM upgraded Nylon tank with the new design low coolant sensor, it was leaking at the fittings on the top and sides, the holes were elongating in the Nylon. Not sure how long it was in there but I was getting tired of removing the fittings and re wrapping them with Teflon and putting them back in, so I just went this route, I figured it would be once and for all.

I bit the bullet and replaced my surge bottle with a welded aluminum one from Source Engineering. Total cost to my door was $487. The tank is a work of art and an engineering solution to a problem that plagued me for three years. The welded tank included a new side sensor since my RV had a top sensor. All I had to do was switch the wires. Installation was very easy and takes all the worry out of pressurized surge bottle problems. It has a nice sight window to check the fluid level. While the price was more than I wanted to spend, it solved a problem that I will never have to worry about again. It was cheap insurance for one of the biggest aggravations I have had with my Monaco RV. Source Engineering guarantees their product and are good to work with. Here is the link for anyone interested; http://sourcerv.com/