Jiminypipit

No Power To Ignition Switch

I have a 2004 Winnebago Vectra and have no power to the keyed 12-volt white wire of my Trip Tec. I decided to check the auto fuse panel along with the breaker panel. The fuses were good and no breakers were popped, so I removed the four screws holding the breaker panel in place. Like a dope, I did not disconnect the battery, and while removing the pane,l I shorted something. Now I have no power to the ignition switch. I have checked all of the fuses, breakers, relays I can find.

Any Ideas will be appreciated.

Jiminy

Do you still have power to live (unkeyed) accesories?

Do you still have power to the ignition starting circuits?

When you "shorted something, did you see, hear or smell smoke and/flame?

Hi Jim and welcome to FMCA.

Brian asked some good questions. Could you post the Model you have like SD40AD or another model in the Vectra Series.

Power to the key switch should come from a fuse / relay panel on the vectra series there are 2 panels in many cases.

I keep thinking there is a disconnect relay / solenoid circuit with a blown fuse or fuse able link that may have failed in that circuit.

Rich.

Not sure of this RV, but on mine...if you follow the red (+) wire from the chassis battery it runs to a high amp circuit breaker. If this breaker is tripped you will see a small red tab sticking out on the bottom. Push the tab back in and power will be restored.

Here is a picture of one....yours will look different than this one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bss-cb185-120?seid=srese1&gclid=CMXczPvUj7gCFcGe4AodGncAyg

Thank you guys for your help. Brian - I will check and get back to you as to power. When it shorted out there were some minor sparks that I saw at the panel, no smell and no smoke or flames. Rich - The model of my vectra is a S36GD. Bigdog - I have never seen a breaker like the one pictured but I will have a good look around to see what I can find. Thanks again. jiminy

Jiminy, How are you making out?

Page 71 of the information you can download pictures the power relay panel. It pictures the Run relay and the ACC / Run Relay 2 and some of the wiring.

At the time I have not found the connections and harness information or drawings for the ignition key Sw circuits.

The Battery disconnect relay circuit shows a 5 Amp fuse at the relay, so if you do not have any power when you toggle the circuit check for a bad fuse at the relay.

There are 2 - 15amp circuit breakers in the main power panel that feed the Run Relay 1 and Run /ACC Relay 2.

Rich.

Jiminy, after looking at all the wiring information listed for your coach, there are no drawings for the ignition circuit other then a block diagram. So I think you will need to get the wiring information from the chassis manufacturer regarding this circuit, as it would be supplied with the chassis.

I was hopping that there was some circuit info in the information from Winnebago.

To get the proper information you will need the Vin. number.

Rich.

Rich - Thank you for your time and trouble. I have been working and have not had time to check all the info all of you have given me. Thursday (tomorrow) I will have some time and hopefully I will find my problem. Thanks all of you for your suggestions

Jimminy

• I have checked my breakers in the compartment under the driver along with the fuses and all are good.

I have checked my ignition switch and have power to both sides acc. and run because my jacks work on either side but I don't have lights, buzzer or starter.

I have checked for an ignition solenoid and what I have found is two in a back compartment on drivers side, one is called a relay - battery disconnect and the larger one is not named but has two large lugs, top either side and two wires near the bottom one from battery boost switch (yellow coded LR) and the other is ground (white coded MG). The two are connected with a large wire coded (yellow - coach battery). It seems to me these are not the ignition solenoid.

I do not know where to look - my coach is a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 36GD, Freightliner Evolution Chassis, Cat 330 engine.

I'm at my wits end. - Jim

The two solenoids in the back compartment sound like the 12v power disconnect which is actuated on or off by your 12v toggle switch somewhere in the coach and the boost solenoid which ties the coach battery in with the chassis battery for a extra boost when starting the engine. Neither likely related to the issue.

A remote starter solenoid can be found by tracing the large cable from the starter.

Have you reinstalled the fuse panel that was being removed when the sparking occurred?

Hi Jim,

Like Brett mentioned, You have done your home work and know what you have and do not have. So when you call Winnebago you have information that will help pin down the issue.

I remember seeing a 500 circuit related to the starting circuit on Winnebago's drawings and no circuit information directly showing the circuit wiring.

The starter circuits have a relay that is energized when you turn the key to start. The key switch can not carry the current needed to power the starter. Often this relay is referred to as a Castle relay and the large contacts connect the starter solenoid to the large cables running to the chassis batteries. The small wires run from the starter switch 12 volts and the other terminal connects to ground close to the relay.

Keep the group in the loop.

Rich.

Thank you all for all info supplied. I found the problem which turned out to be a mini fuse that supplied power to the ignition relay. The fuse looked good and checked out with the ohm meter but was not passing on the power. I sprayed the fuse holder with contact cleaner and replaced the fuse with a new one and praise the lord everything came to life. again thank you all for your help.

Jiminy

Good to hear Jiminy, The resistance you where reading when you checked the fuse the first time was most likely the coil resistance and we have all been fooled by it at some point !!

Rich.