Sign in to follow this  
ceptap

2003 Monarch SE Front End Wander

We have a 2003 Monarch SE. Workhorse chassis, it tends to wander some in the front end. We would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve. Shocks have been replaced with Konis. Coach has 32000 miles on it. 8.1 engine. Thanks

Is tire pressure, particularly in front your tire manufactures recommendation for your ACTUAL WEIGHT, plus, perhaps a 5 PSI safety cushion? Well over or under-inflated tires really affect tracking.

Have you had it aligned? Was CASTER set toward high end of specs?

They will never drive like a car, but proper tire PSI, alignment, good sway bar bushings and perhaps track bars/panhard rods all help.

Hi

Thanks for the response. Just purchased this rig. We had a Bounder before and it did not wander like this one does. Question on tire pressure...should we run the tires at what it says on the tire? and/or get it weighed somewhere? It has new tires, the tire says 110, the tire place says only run them at 95...??? So they are at 95 right now.

Also check your airbags (bladder inside front coil springs) for correct air pressure. Mine are at 70 PSIG. The valve to fill the airbags on my rig is on top of the radiator. To find yours, trace the hose that comes out of the bottom of the air bag.

I'm with Brett, alignment is critical, as is air pressure. My Workhorse chassis unit seemed to road wander more than was comfortable when I got it in 2009. I installed new Michelin RV tires, had tires balanced, had it aligned, installed new air bags and now it is very well behaved on the road. As Brett says, they do not drive like a car, but presently it does not require constant steering wheel corrections to maintain the proper highway course.

If you do not have a tire monitoring system, check your tires before every trip (check tire pressure when tires are cold) and as oftem as needed during the trip. Feel of your tires at every stop you make.

Sam

Note: Sam's comment about front air bag pressure applies to Chevy and Workhorse P chassis with independent front axles.

It does NOT apply to Workhorse W chassis which have a solid front axle.

That is why it is always a good idea to post specifics on your chassis.

Caster and camber in your alignment will affect pulling in one idrection or the other. Toe-in will have a great deal to do with wandering. When your toe-in is out your tires will try to center themselve. If your right front wheel is going streight the left will be pulling to the left. When you strighten the left then the right will pull to the right. Resulting in wandering.

Have your coach aligned. Then have the tech. go for a test drive. If the wandering is gone wonderful. If not have him go over it again and test again.

Hope this helps and happy wandering.

Herman

No one has said that you should have each wheel position weighed independently, find the weight on each front wheel, and each rear wheel. If you have one wheel position that is significantly heavier than another that could cause the coach to pull to one side or another. I weigh our coach at each FMCA Rally where it is available. Since we've been traveling we've always come in under maximum weight and closely balanced from one side to the other. This time at Gillette, we weighed in with 1000 pounds more on the right rear wheel position than on the left rear (9700 LR, 10650 RR). I'm still working on shifting weight. I can't figure this one out because our slides are on the left side only. Our waste tanks were empty and the fuel, LP and water are in full width tanks. We've gone from full time to part time and trimmed back the stuff we carry, still, I thought we would be better balanced. Anyway, I need to find 500 pounds to move from the right side to the left side, mostly in the rear. I'm still working on this one. I've moved a good 200 pounds, better but not where I need to be. By the way, 1000 pounds in a 33,100 pound coach doesn't make too much difference, just fine tuning.

My point is that you may not think you are out of balance but could be significantly off in side to side weights. Once you have your individual wheel weights, you use those to set your tire pressure. All tires on the same axle will be set to the same pressure, enough to support the load that is on the heaviest side. The RV Safety and Education Foundation (RVSEF) has information and a schedule of their future rallies. You could chase alignment problems forever and not find a solution if you are badly out of balance.

Tom,

That left right shift could be a RIDE HEIGHT VALVE that is out of adjustment.

You might check ride height.

Thanks Brett,

I hadn't thought of that. I haven't noticed a problem with it but will check just to be sure.