lylefikse

50 Amp Surge Protector

We have a DP that uses 50 amps. Will a 50 amp surge protector work if we use an adaptor to plug into 30 amps when that is all that is available or do we need a second surge protector that is rated for 30 amps?

Surge protectors are a voltage device to protect against voltage surges and spikes. As long as you have the correctly wired adapter plug or built in surge protection, amperage of the service doesn't matter.

A couple of point that may make this more understandable.

A coach does not "use" 50 amp or 30 amp service.

More accurately it is wired to "allow the use of up to XX amp service".

If all you have on is a light bulb, that 50 amp service may only be providing 1 amp.

And, some "RV math":

With 50 amp service, you have TWO 50 amp hots. So a total of 100 amps AVAILABLE. If you look at the CG breakers, you will see two 50 amp breakers, not one.

With 30 amp service, you have ONE 30 amp hot.

So the difference in what you can use (number of amps available) is NOT 50- 30=20. It is 100- 30= 70!!!!!

Said another way, you can use WAY less power on 30 amp service than on 50, not just a small difference.

So, with 50 amp service, you have the two hots, a neutral and a ground (yup, that is 3 straight prongs and a round).

With 15, 20 and 30 amp service, you have one hot, a neutral and a ground (two straights and a round).

When using an adapter from 15, 20 or 30 amp shore power to 50 amp coach, the single hot in the male end connects to BOTH hots in the 50 amp end of the adapter.

Brett

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the Progressive Industries 50 amp model that is hard wired into the rig. Life time warranty seems to way to go. To much hassle trying to keep people honest with the plug in the post type. Can't be that hard to wire in. Color wire in, and same out. Right? I also want to replace my power cord with a hand reel type at the same time. Anyone have suggestions for the best reel. I think I hand crank would work best for me. I hope there will be vendors at FMCA's area rally the end of the month in Manchester, Iowa. Looking forward to that. If any of you are there, stop and say hi.

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the Progressive Industries 50 amp model that is hard wired into the rig. Life time warranty seems to way to go. To much hassle trying to keep people honest with the plug in the post type. Can't be that hard to wire in. Color wire in, and same out. Right? I also want to replace my power cord with a hand reel type at the same time. Anyone have suggestions for the best reel. I think I hand crank would work best for me. I hope there will be vendors at FMCA's area rally the end of the month in Manchester, Iowa. Looking forward to that. If any of you are there, stop and say hi.

I have limited space so a reel of any type won't fit. I use a heavy duty hose hanger for my 50 amp cord and extension and another hanger for my 20 amp 75 foot and 30 amp and 50 foot extension.

If you are going to use the hard wired Progressive consider installing it after the transfer switch. This will provide protection from both shore power and generator power. On my Monaco the transfer switch is very accessible. May or may not be on your RV.

Yup the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) will have wire bundle from shore power and generator coming in and the wire bundle to the coach 120 VAC breaker box going out.

Just talked to a friend that had his transfer switch blown out last winter when he lost power during a storm His surge protector is wired in after the transfer switch. Where do they suggest these thing be wired in?

Just talked to a friend that had his transfer switch blown out last winter when he lost power during a storm His surge protector is wired in after the transfer switch. Where do they suggest these thing be wired in?

There are good reasons for before AND after.

Advantage of before: protects ATS.

Advantage of after: protects rest of 120 VAC system from both shore and generator.

If it is wired in before the ATS I think it will give you more protection because as pointed out things such a lightning and other line irregularities, would be stopped. Irregularities with the gen power are very rare.

I use 2 surge protectors. My new MH has a surge protector hard wired in from the factory. Our old MH did not have a surge protector, so we bought a Progressive industries 50 amp voltage & surge protector for it. I use both because I have it. I figure it may save my power cord & anything else in line prior to the hard wired one. I wouldn't go out and buy both if I needed just one, but I figure if I have it use it.