lylefikse

Safe-T-Plus

I just installed a Safe-T-Plus on our 40 foot DP. Seems to work well but haven't used it enough in windy conditions to see if it helps with driver fatigue. That's why I bought it.

Question. When driving the motorhome the Safe-T-Plus works fine with plenty of clearance. Driving with air in the tanks, it sits below the fuel tank with enough clearance. When parked and leveled (air out of bags), the back of the cylinder rubs ever so slightly on the front of the fuel tank. . I don't think this will be a problem as it is slight but can't find any adjustment in the installation to give more clearance. I did buy the right kit to fit our freightliner so please don't suggest another kit.

Suggestions?

I would check with the mfg to see if they have run into this before. It may be the correct one for the chassis but not for your model of coach.

Good idea.

By the way, this sounds like and easy install by the directions.

I am not a small guy, 6 ft 225. I had all I could do to get this
installed. The 2 bolts that I had to take off that held the shock on were torqued so tight that I twisted two of my socket extensions in half trying to get them loose. I borrowed a 3/4 inch socket set from a friend and still needed a cheater bar on that to get the job done. With the right tools (meaning heavy duty air tools) it would have been easy.

Called Safety Plus and they took care of the problem. They said I had the wrong bracket by mistake (I ordered the correct one as stated on their website for my coach). They shipped it to a local dealer and they installed the correct bracket at no charge to me. Customer service rated A+ by me. Now we have nice clearance. Thanks Safety Plus!

I realize that this is an old string, but thought I would ask this here.  Has anyone installed the Safe-T-Plus on a Fleetwood Discovery?  If so, did it help the "wandering" much?  Since I am not a great mechanic, who would you trust to install/adjust it?

Charles,

The Safe-T-Plus does two things:

Assists with "return to center" after turning a corner.

Dampens input from road irregularities and/or a blow out.

While a worthwhile addition to many coaches/chassis, it is not the first thing to do when the objective is improving handling.  Start with:

Weigh coach (all wheel position weighing best) and set tire pressure per tire manufacturer's recommendation, using the heavier wheel position on each axle to determine correct minimum PSI for all tires on that axle.  Many of us add 10% to that minimum as a safety factor.

Verify that the the front end is in alignment, setting both CASTER and TOE-IN at the high end of spec.

When ordering the Safe-T-Plus, they will need to know that CHASSIS you have, rather than what coach.

Installation is not difficult, though likely will involve some high torque/large bolts.  Adjustment (basically centering it) is merely loosening some nuts and moving the tie-rod attachment point.

The main thing that brought me to the Safe-T-Plus idea was the blowout control.  I've talked to a couple of people with gas motorhomes that swear by the system.  Just haven't found one who had a DP.  I've been rather remiss in getting the coach weighed.  Right now, I'm making an educated "assumption" that I am not overweight and am using the Michelin numbers for the max weights for each end of the coach, using 50% of that to go into the chart.  Haven't really started looking for a place to get the alignment checked yet, though I know I should.  If you call someone other than a Spartan service center, you get some interesting responses, and I hate to drive several hundred miles to have the alignment checked.  Same goes for having it installed.

Charles, I have a DP with one, while our chassis is completely different than yours it didn't do much if anything at all to the way it handled. I did notice less effort to bring the steering wheel to center after a turn. I put it on for an added level of protection in case of tire failure, not to correct a handling problem. The recommendations above are solid from an expert in the field. The hardest part of the installation was getting it centered, took me two times.

I am just as guilty with the 4 corner weight, I had it weighed at a truck stop scale to see if we were over loaded on any one axle, but no 4 corner at this time. I will say to much air will make it squirrely on the road, our coach holds true to that. I set our pressures based off of an assumption the coach is loaded evenly, everything heavy is down the center, and it handled better. Its on my list, just not near the top out of inconvenience.

Thanks for the info.  I showed my wife the dash film of motorhome having a blowout.  She said I need to order one.  Just don't  believe that I'm capable, or have the facilities to do it myself.  Not quite sure who I would trust to do a decent job.  Camping World is generally not my first choice for anything.

9 minutes ago, cdsuggs said:

Guess it's time to start looking for the dough to get this done.  I might have overdone it with showing the DW the film.-_-

:lol: sometimes that works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't!

Even though I had my Safe T Plus installed on my 39' gasser, and not a DP, I agree with everything Wolfe10 said.  To improve my handling I had to have the front end aligned, properly adjust my psi in all tires, and have Sumo springs installed all around.  The Safe T Plus helped me re-center the steering while driving and made me more confident I could keep from rolling over in the case of a steer axle tire blowout.  I would estimate that every modification I did leading up to the Safe T Plus install improved the handling of my gas coach 60%, then adding the Safe T Plus maybe improved it another 10%.

I was going from Florida to Illinois last spring to start our summer travels so I made an appointment at their factory outside of Atlanta.   There was no waiting and they completed the install and road testing in about 90 minutes.  

I have one on my Bounder DP. If I note anything different in handling it is that the wheel seems to center better. The best improvement I made for handling was to get an alignment by an otr truck suspension shop.

13 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

I have one on my Bounder DP. If I note anything different in handling it is that the wheel seems to center better. The best improvement I made for handling was to get an alignment by an otr truck suspension shop.

Yes an "all wheel" alignment is a good first step. My rear axle was out of alignment by quite a bit.

Bill

I have the specifications for my coach. My problem is finding a otr shop that will align a Roadmaster chassis with or without a tag. Looking in the DFW area of Texas. Know anyone??

Herman 

Herman.  I thought you knew everyone in a 300 mile area of Sherman?! :ph34r:  Try the indoor storage and sales in Lewiston. Or Legacy Coach (where Ernie got his Prevost) they do all chassis!

Carl,

It is National Indoor Storage and they are in Lewisville Texas on Business Hwy 121. Don't do Roadmaster chassis as of the last time I spoke with them. Am not familiar Legacy Coach, assume they are in the Fort Worth area. 

Bill,

Premier Truck Service in Howe Texas is a Freightliner Shop. Used to be Diamond Truck Center and they did my PM service but is now a Freightliner shop. Been there once but never again. Had then do the PM on my coach, they doubled the price of all the filters and went up $150.00 on the labor.

Gentlemen, thanks for your thoughts. I will call Legacy and check them out.

Thanks again,

Herman

Herman, is it pulling, steering wheel off center, odd tire wear or tracking odd on the road? 

Not being familiar with Texas requirements, does it get an annual inspection certification? 

Did anyone try and swap your steer tires left to right for the pull?

is the drag link adjustable by itself? Or does the steering wheel center have to be adjusted via the tie rods?