lylefikse

Safe-T-Plus

Joe,

My original drag link had one fixed tie rod end and one adjustable. The replacement one has adjustable ones on both ends (aka right and left hand threads) and can be adjusted with ease.

I don't do my own PM service. Have had the same shop doing it for years. What I found was that one zerk fitting was in a bad location and to grease it the wheel needed to be turned to expose the fitting. That was never done and resulted in it going dry. The replacement drag link was purchased from Inland Truck Parts ($1,500.00). I replaced it myself. I showed the drag link to the shop when I did the change. Todd the service manager took on look  at the dry end and said that it was uncalled for and would instruct his techs. He offered to do my next two services for free which came to a bit over $750.00.   

What I need to do is crawl under and make the needed adjustments to center the Steering Wheel. It is pretty close and just needs a bit of tweaking. If I remember correctly most steering boxes have a very slight indent, for lack of a better word. I just need to get the wheels straight and the wheel at 12 o'clock. I will be doing that in the next day or two.

Herman

Herman, I was wondering how it failed. I did that all the time, I would drive it down the street stop with the wheel off center but you know it's tracking straight, with a helper adjust the drag link until the wheel is straight, (as you twist the steering wheel should respond) the helper can yell out the window when it's centered.

Glad there is a Safe-T-Plus thread.

During the storm Harvey my MH was flooded. I called Safe-T-Plus and they asked me to send it back to them (I had removed the piston) and they would check it out under warranty.

I'm not going to go into details but let me express my gratitude for Safe-T-Plus and their exceptional service. Kathy and Kelsey are so customer service oriented and helpful. It has been a pleasure doing business with Safe-T-Plus.

If anyone is in the market for a steering stabilizer I can strongly recommend Safe-T-Plus as the company to do business with.

I have no affiliation with Safe-T-Plus other than being a satisfied customer.

p.s., on my previous MH and for a short period of Safe-T-Plus being installed I noticed a significant difference in the handling characteristics.

Follow up:

Safe-t-Plus has responded to my question. On my 2105 Winnebago Tour 42QD with the Freightliner XC chassis and the IFS ZF Independent Suspension System there is not presently a design for attaching the Safe-T-Plus.  They have been working on it and they believe they are close.  When I hear back from them I'll post the information.

Cheers!

Safe-T-Plus is a great company to do business with.

I installed safe-t-plus on my 2007 workhorse 22,000 lb chassis ( 33 ft Holiday Rambler ).  I did have a clearance problem with the original bracket they sent with the kit.  The bracket  did not have enough offset to clear spring.  A call to them got me a new one to correct the problem.  They said there were differences in the construction on these chassis even on the same models.  Each side of the coach spring shackles have different number of shims in them.  All works fine and I am satisfied with the performance in that it does help with tracking and less work driving.

Installed Koni shocks about a year ago on our 1999 Winnebago Brave SE 29, F35 chassis.  The coach has been in the family since new and the Koni shocks have unquestionably made the most positive difference in the ride and handling.  It has what appears to be a steering stabilizer already installed but it is old and I cannot determine if it is a ST+ or not.  Are there other manufacturers of steering stabilizers?  How long do they generally last, years/miles?  147k miles on the odometer now.

Also, we are south of Houston in Friendswood.  Any recommendations for an alignment shop?  We have the 19.5” wheels and are finding that they fall into a no-mans land, too big for auto shops too small for truck shops. TIA!

1 hour ago, dstrahm said:

Installed Koni shocks about a year ago on our 1999 Winnebago Brave SE 29, F35 chassis.  The coach has been in the family since new and the Koni shocks have unquestionably made the most positive difference in the ride and handling.  It has what appears to be a steering stabilizer already installed but it is old and I cannot determine if it is a ST+ or not.  Are there other manufacturers of steering stabilizers?  How long do they generally last, years/miles?  147k miles on the odometer now.

Also, we are south of Houston in Friendswood.  Any recommendations for an alignment shop?  We have the 19.5” wheels and are finding that they fall into a no-mans land, too big for auto shops too small for truck shops. TIA!

I would look for a Ford dealer that had a medium truck department and call them. If they don't have the equipment they will know who they send their work out to.

Bill

Try the La Porte Tire Center.  They do all the work on my motorhome.  They handle large truck and have a huge parking lot.   They are located at 11011 Fairmont Parkway, La Porte, Tx

Contact Cliff Cunningham (281) 471-3541.

Jaime

I live in Texas City and I use La Porte Tire Center.   They are also  a Dually Valve dealer if you have any tire valve stems that are hard to get to the Dually Valve stems are great.

When I had 19.5 tires, I used Firestone!  Forget Galveston, they have trouble doing a trike, (as in pedal power)

There is a Ford Car, light Truck and Truck sales at the junction of Hwy. 225 & Beltway 8, don't know the name.

Whoopie! From Safe-T-Plus

"Safe T Plus is pleased announced its newly engineered Safe T Plus Steering Control unit and mounting hardware kit for the ZF Independent Front Suspension chassis."

Happy trails!

Wayne....what's it supposed to do for the driver?  I had a RF blow out with our previous coach, an AC Allegiance, no control problems at all.

Besides better steering stability, with the previous one I had you could take a front wheel off and still steer - according to some videos.  They showed cement trucks, popping a front tire and still having full control.
I don't know if they have a video on the IFS Safe-T-Plus but when I get home in October I'll be ordering one.

Anyone in the Atlanta area can go to their factory and they will install it.