lylefikse

Broken Windshield Unsafe? Fix Or Not?

We recently had all new tires put on our 40 DP using the FMCA tire program. Worked slick and saved us about $75 per tire. We use the motorhome about 2 weeks after this and noticed when we were about 100 miles from home that our windshield is cracked on the top in both corners. One of them has run about half way across the windshield in the tinted area at the top. It does not in any way effect vision. First, would you fix this? Is it unsafe?

Second, I don't believe the windshield was cracked before the tire change but not sure. I believe it was OK but can't prove that. Has anyone else out there had a broken windshield after having tires changed? Do you think jacking the rig up on each corner could put such a torque on the body to crack the windshield? I am not about to go back and accuse them of it because I am not sure it was not cracked before. I know in the future before someone jacks up my rig I will check the windshield. Then I will know for sure.

Also we will be going to Canada soon. Would a broken windshield be questioned at entry?

Have not experienced or heard of lifting causing a crack, but I suppose is possible. The cracks I have encountered thru the years have all started at impact points from flying debris (except for the time I broke my Mom's windshield while clearing ice; six year old with a broom stick; what can I say). Look along the cracks and see if you can find what looks where a stone impact occurred. If you find one, it would be the likely cause.

Yes, if the chassis is torqued excessively, either by jacks, extreme, angled dip, etc, you CAN cause a stress crack in a windshield.

And, unlike a rock chip, a stress crack can not be repaired.

Some states its not legal to drive with a broken windshield. I have seen windshields crack from jacking in such a way as to twist the frame.

Is a cracked windshield safe? Someone smarter than me can figure out how much force is exerted on a windshield when you're pushing it through the air at 60 mph. Windshields are designed to be able to handle that force, but when you compromise the design with a crack there is a possibility of catastrophic failure at the worst possible moment. That's not to say you'll end up with a faceful and lapful of glass shards - windshields are built to prevent that - but you could end up with a panoramic view of a frosted window instead of a clear window; it's hard to see where you're going looking through frosted glass!

The state of Arizona doesn't think its safe, they require that insurance companies to replace windshields at no cost to the insured.

Bummer that it occurred for whatever reason.... but I suspect you knew the best answer before you posted the question....

Most likely it would be safe in you were always traveling with a tail wind and never met another vehicle going the opposite direction in a near by lane nor experienced a gust of wind..

Is the strength and integrity of the windshield compromised ? Some winshirlds have been known to "pop" out / in .. might be a surprise you don't want to risk.

You are right. I did know the answer. Just didn't want the expense after just putting on 6 new tires. We are in the process of an estimate for a local glass company. $1000 deductible on our insurance so I guess I already know the cost.

I had to have both front windshields replaced a couple of years ago. My insurance company picked up the total bill some $2700.

I'm having new tires put on tomorrow .... and talked with them today to make sure they ALWAYS lift both front at same time... They do handle thousands of new tire mountings every year but said they had never heard of a windshield cracking during that process... ( but they have always lifted full front so it wouldn't apply there).... I feel better having checked... suspect your post will cause a lot of folks to double check if and when they need tires...

Hope your insurance helps a lot...

Check with your insurance agent about the windshield deductable. All glass is insured under the comprehensive portion of your insurance, and most companies put the comprehensive portion at one half of the collision deductable. Hope this is true on yours, or hopefully even lower.

Good luck,

Kay