Sign in to follow this  
jamestouchstone

ISC 8.3--350HP Upgrade To 380HP?

I have a 2003 American Coach Revolution with a ISC 350hp 1,050 lb-ft torque, I see advertised the same engine same torque but 380hp. Does anyone have info as to what the difference in the engine might be or is this a programing issue,chip etc.? I thought I would ask everyone before contacting Cummins. I got this info from the FMCA mag. July issue page 54. 1st Kite Flier.

Might find the answer at https://quickserve.cummins.com

The website used to cost, but I think is now free. You can input your EIN (engine serial number) and get all the specs, parts, etc.

Look for "ISC Engine Familiarization" document. Assuming it is the same type doc as the 1998 version, it will discuss the difference in HP capability. In mine for instance pistons make a difference.

On diesel engines, it is the torque, not the HP that moves a MH. I suspect you will see NO CHANGE in performance even if this increase in HP is possible. The torque remains the same.

Cummins literature show the peak HP improving for the 1050 torque ISC as follows:

2003 350

2007 360

2010 380

Torque would remain the same, but achieving a higher peak HP at the same RPM would give more available power, would it not??

Looking at the performance charts, all three engines delivered peak torque of 1050 @ 1400 RPM. However, the torque delivered at 2000 RPM at peak HP changed from 920 in the ISC350 to 1000 in the ISC380

First edit/add after desertdeals69 comment below: The 3 HP ratings were all at 2000 RPM. HP is directly related to torque, so the same torque at the same RPM would yield the same actual HP. The ratings are noted by Cummins as "Advertised HP". I had noticed before that the HP ratings were below what the torque would yield, but had not really thought about it. I guess this means the change in ratings is more marketing than reality. I had not taken into account the change in torque at the peak HP RPM

So you could get a higher peak HP at the same RPM, but you would have to increase torque to do it. Increasing the torque at the peak HP RPM resulted in a higher peak HP.

Note: Edited a second time to strike what may not be exactly correct and add some additional underlined info.

Cummins literature show the peak HP improving for the 1050 torque ISC as follows:

2003 350

2007 360

2010 380

Torque would remain the same, but achieving a higher peak HP at the same RPM would give more available power, would it not??

Check the rpm for the different hp ratings. If the torque is the same actual performance would be the same or very close.