Sign in to follow this  
michaelhillhouse

Electrical Switch For Sun Shades

A friend of mine gave us 2 electric sun shades for the front windshield. They have 2 wires and when hooked up one way, with the hot and ground, they go down, reverse the wires and they roll up.

My question is how do I use 1 switch for each side to roll up and down as they are designed. I know this is a stupid question but I am confused which way to correctly wire them to work.

Any help would be appreciated

Michael

Hi Michael, The wiring at the switch is the key. ON- center OFF- ON, 6 terminals--3 on each side as you look at the back.

One set of end terminals are + and -. Do the same at the other end, JUST reverse the positive and negative wires.

All you need is a jumper wire from one corner to the other for both the positive and negative feeds.

The motor connects to the center connections.

Another way to look at it is to.

Draw and X, The top of one side of the x is positive power and the bottom end of the line is negative. The opposite for the other side or line in the x. The motor fastens to the center. When you to push it one way the shade should go up and go down the other way.

You need to orient the switch so when you push the bottom shade goes down and up when you push the top of the button.

That should solve the problem.

Rich.

Thanks Rich,

I finally found a 6 pole switch at NAPA and thanks for the info now all I have to do is wire it. The temp is around 100 degrees right now so I think I will wait until tomorrow morning while it's cooler.

Thanks Rich,

I finally found a 6 pole switch at NAPA and thanks for the info now all I have to do is wire it. The temp is around 100 degrees right now so I think I will wait until tomorrow morning while it's cooler.

You will need a separate switch for each one.

The correct name for this switch is, 6 pole double throw. Only to make it easier when ordering a switch for this purpose.

Happy trails, Kay

Hello just going the same for my 2 shades got 2 switches the proper ones from Carefree of Colorado. The switch is momentary on,double pole,double throw,center OFF.

Good Info. I have one of the shades in my coach that just stopped working. Won't go up or down. I am sure it's just a bad connection or maybe the switch. Like Michael said it will be a early morning project.

My coach has two passenger shade switch. One for the passenger and one for the driver. You should see what happens when the driver pushes the switch for down and the passenger pushes for the shade to go up. Nobody wins but I have to make a stop and change the fuse.

Ray,

That will happen because it causes a direct short !!!! Now, if you are an electronics kind of guy, you can install steering diodes in the circuit and when you push the switches at the same time the fuse should not blow. !!??

Rich.

Rich I know it shorted and had to stop because the fuse is also on the driver side shade. I'm not an electrical guy but I can try to slap the back of the hand of the offending person and see how far that will get me. :rolleyes:

The correct name for this switch is, 6 pole double throw. Only to make it easier when ordering a switch for this purpose.

Happy trails, Kay

Not really, Kay. The term "pole" refers to the number of distinct circuits a switch controls; the term "throw" refers to the number of positions the switch allows. The switches used in these shades are double pole double throw - they control two separate circuits and have two distinct positions. Wikipedia actually has a decent entry for this, with good diagrams to help understand the nomenclature.

Not really, Kay. The term "pole" refers to the number of distinct circuits a switch controls; the term "throw" refers to the number of positions the switch allows. The switches used in these shades are double pole double throw - they control two separate circuits and have two distinct positions. Wikipedia actually has a decent entry for this, with good diagrams to help understand the nomenclature.

It is a double pole quadruple throw, center spring loaded, off position. You don't want it to be stuck in the on position.

It is a double pole quadruple throw, center spring loaded, off position. You don't want it to be stuck in the on position.

Yes, you definitely need a momentary contact, center off switch but I maintain it is a DPDT, not a DP4T. Here's a visual representation of each of the types involved:

DPDT: dpdtswitch_zpsf368f679.jpg D4T: dp4tswitch_zps22124526.gif

Sorry for the size difference. As the images show the DPDT has 2 separate circuits - the "poles" or center contacts of the switch, and will allow a connection to 2 different destinations - the "throws". For the DP4T switch it still has the 2 separate poles, but it allows each pole to connect to each of 4 separate throws. These type switches are usually roatary, or slide, switches rather than toggle switches. In the image for the DPDT switch it is shown wired as it needs to be for the job in question: providing the up and down action of the powered shades.

ahepburn51,

I'm sorry that you are confused, poles refer to the number of terminals. I should have added all of the information, it is a 6 pole double throw, normally open, momentary switch.

Pos, or position refers to the number of circuits. Double pole double throw is the same as a 6 pole double throw. There are also 9 pole, and 12 pole, they are used for 3 wires and 4 wires respectively. These are used when multiple wires are used. A 6 position switch is used when 6 circuits are used, and they are offered with multiple terminals also.

Kay

ahepburn51,

I'm sorry that you are confused, poles refer to the number of terminals. I should have added all of the information, it is a 6 pole double throw, normally open, momentary switch.

Pos, or position refers to the number of circuits. Double pole double throw is the same as a 6 pole double throw. There are also 9 pole, and 12 pole, they are used for 3 wires and 4 wires respectively. These are used when multiple wires are used. A 6 position switch is used when 6 circuits are used, and they are offered with multiple terminals also.

Kay

Well, Kay, it seems one of us is confused. In my case, my electronics career started as a hobby back in the '60s, followed by school, and then 35+ years working in the semiconductor industry in a design capacity. I know what was refered to as a DPDT switch back 50 years ago, and it seemingly hasn't changed. Here's a decent reference for your reading pleasure - about 3/4 of the way down the page is a description of the double pole, double throw switches, in exactly the configuration used for our shades:

http://www.1728.org/project2.htm