Sign in to follow this  
jgoubeaud@yahoo.com

Engine/Electrical Shut-down on Beaver Contessa with CAT Engine

Cosborne,

Looking at the image of the relay on the link page, you can see 2 of the terminals on top of the relay.

These posts and nuts are for the large 12 volt battery sized cables.

On the back of the relay(the side you can not see are 2 much smaller connections that look like the ones on top.

There will be 2 wires,but much smaller that connect to these terminals. one goes to ground and the other supplies 12 volts to energize or De-energize the relay / contractor.

Look at this link picture of the relay, you will see 2 of the threaded posts'

http://www.bluesea.com/products/9012

Rich.

Thank you Rich I went ahead and ordered one hopefully comes soon didn't want to replace several times if this will most likely solve this problem for the life that I own the rig.

You are welcome!

The credit belongs to Brett. I just forwarded the information.

Good luck and let the group know how you make out.

Rich.

Update to my problem has seemed to go away now.

I think I just got over this problem, bought coach a year ago now, and here is the items I changed or experienced.

1st. Fuel was practically empty ( I am sure I sucked up some junk into fuel lines etc.) I bought from a dealer this way, fuel gauge said half but clearly wasn't.

2nd. Had it serviced to replace all fuel filters. (at this time started as I do with all diesels started adding diesel clean additive to fuel.

3rd. Also advised that the starter solenoid was bad installed the Napa one smoked it in 100 miles, replaced with the blue sea systems one for 175 bucks.

4th. Problem seemed to spread out but not eliminated, next suggested to replace ignition switch did that

At this point this was about 3 trips at approx. 400 miles rt, coach would shutdown at least 2 times on the way out and 2 on the way in never leaving me stranded. The 4th trip going about 200 miles RT it died once going out and nothing on the way in.

5th trip all though short distance from home for a bike event, say 35 miles each way nothing ran like a top with no issues. My guess is it was a combination of all things fuel, starting solenoid, possibly ignition switch. I am preparing my next trip and also pointing out this rig gets topped off with fuel before storage every time now and will continue to add diesel clean on every fill.

I was also advised ground, I thought that would be easy right, Freightliner had my coach for 6 weeks and took numerous test drives with no duplication of my problem. And also claimed they walked harness from front bay back to engine with no finding of bad grounds.

I thought I was going to sell this now coming up on a year owning and now I am excited all over again hoping my problems in this area are gone.