Sign in to follow this  
phaeton2013

Towing a Large Load

Please only those with experience reply! I'm new to this but have done a lot of research and it show's that towing a 3/4 ton 2500 quad cab 03' diesel truck that has a weight of 6,800 lbs is not a problem for a 2013 phaeton Allison 6 speed with a ISC 380hp 40 ft unit ? The Phaeton has a tow rating of 10,000 lbs per Tiffin representative via phone conversation. Label on towing hitch state 10,000 LBs and information given by dealership. Just wanted to know if anyone out there has the same set up as what I'm wanting to use and can you give me any feed back before I purchase the towing equipment needed. Again please only respond if you have first hand knowledge or a very similar setup! Thanks

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The question is a little more complicated than that.

EACH of these criteria need to be met:

Toad weight does not exceed the hitch rating.

Toad weight does not exceed the coach towing capacity.

Additionally, of course, you will need a tow bar rated for the weight and supplemental brakes.

Weight of loaded coach and toad does not exceed the CGWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

And, while you certainly want answers from those who have done it, particularly if you have not purchased the coach, you don't want answers based on "what I got away with", but what is both safe AND LEGAL. Have an accident and your rig doesn't meet ALL the criteria and you are not in a good situation, because they WILL check each one.

Have you weighed your truck? I had a 2002 2500HD Duramax extended cab, long bed and it weighed just over 7000 pounds on the truck scales at Flying J. Not much difference, but while evaluating, it could make a difference.

BTW, the Duramax/Allison is a great combination. I towed before I got the MH, and the Duramax did all I asked and still got, for that size vehicle, decent mileage.

Sam

One thing to consider is to make sure that your toad (with the base plate) is as parallel to the MH hitch tow bar. Your truck may sit high enough so that you may not need a drop hitch on the back of the MH. There is at best a 3 inch variance on the Y axis and just make sure you are in this variance to minimize stress on the tow bar. In the event you do need a drop hitch, don't head to your local harbor freight store or walmart store and purchase a drop hitch. Those hitches are rated for 4k pounds od towing. You'll need to spend about $100 or more and purchase a roadmaster or blue ox drop hitch. These bad boys are rated for 10k pounds of tow strength.

Rob

Brett has made several great points. If they are not met you could be in real trouble should you be in an accident. If you are not in comlpiance, your insurance may not cover the accident and your fault or not you may be subject to all damages. The insurance companies thoughts are if you are not in compliance you should not be on the road.

Make sure you have all you need to be safe.

Herman