Sign in to follow this  
dickandlois

Understanding Engineers

Having worked in the technical and engineering field for a number of years; and trying to understand what physicist’s and clients wanted from there drawings and notes was always challenging.

The curiosity of a 5 year old and the love of a challenge has fueled my life. I thought I would post some interesting notes pertaining to engineers.

1. To the optimist, the glass is half-full. To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
  2. What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets.
  3. The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?" The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
  4. Normal people believe that if it isn’t broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn’t broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
  5. Two engineers were standing at the base of a flagpole, looking at its top. A woman walked by and asked what they were doing. "We're supposed to find the height of this flagpole," said Sven, "but we don't have a ladder." The woman took a wrench from her purse, loosened a couple of bolts, and laid the pole down on the ground. Then she took a tape measure from her pocketbook, took a measurement, announced, "Twenty-one feet, six inches," and walked away. One engineer shook his head and laughed, "A lot of good that does us. We ask for the height and she gives us the length!"

Rich.

Rich, That is the best I have heard or seen, since I saw a guy with a brown straw hat talking to a guy in a loud Orange hat in Gillette. :P

If you don't mind, I am going to copy this and send it to several of my Engineer friends. But I will type real slow so they will under stand. :lol::D:lol:

Herman

Thanks for the laugh Rich, Takes one to know one. I have told number 5 many times, all the others are new. Incidently, have been electronic / computer engineer for the past 30 years, and still enjoying it.

Kay

:P As an engineer (BSME 1963) I didn't see any humor in them; they just looked like cold, hard facts to me. ;-) :P

It was a good insite to our way of thinking. I will also pass them on to some of my engineering buddies.

Sam

The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?" The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work"

The graduate with the liberal arts degree asks "Would you like fries with that?" :D