Sign in to follow this  
oscarpower

Overnight Stop North Of Atlanta?

Question

Hello!

We need a secured rest area or a service station opened 24 hrs or a Walmart.... someplace to stop overnight on our rushed way North... would you know where we can stop?

We need to arrive North of Colorado ASAP. I was thinking of going this time thru ATL/ST.Louis/Kansas/Lincoln,NE/I-80 to Cheyenne/Ft. Collins. (Somewhat cooler than I-70?)

From Gainesville to Tennesee is approx. 8 hours (including gasoline stop), but we should not drive more than 5-6. I'm thinking that by-passing ATL after 7 PM might be easier traffic-wise, but don't know where to stop. We'd prefer to avoid a campground since it's just a couple of rest hours....

Or.... we could stop just before ATL and passing it late morning...

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Jocelynn and Quico

Driving a 28' Concord/Coachmen with tow.

8 answers to this question

I'd stick with passing ATL after 7:00 p.m. (in fact, the later, the better). Late morning won't do you any good if you're trying to avoid traffic. Traffic in ATL is heavy all during the daylight hours. I lived in mid-town Atlanta for 3 years.

As far as a stopping point, I would go with the exit 263 walmart, just north of ATL. Take exit 263 off of 75 and then travel West on 120 until you get to US 41. Go North on 41 to Walmart on left. The address is 210 Cobb Parkway South. Marietta, GA 30060. 770-429-9029 is their phone number.

As you travel along I-80 there are several small rest parks that are really campgrounds. We really like Windmill at exit 285 in Nebraska.

If you have a smart phone the App - AllStays (you can pick Walmart or truck/travel) has been a huge help on my first trip. It give you distance, rest areas, Flying J's or just Walmarts. It lists the phone number when you touch the screen and you can call ahead and ask to make sure the overnight stop is okay.

Get the app "gasbuddy" and then look for "Murphy USA". They are associated with Walmart and will give a good discount if you use a Walmart "Gift card". Just go in and load one up and use it to buy your fuel. It will save any where from 3 to 15 cents per gallon and on a coach it really helps.