Sign in to follow this  
hfoley

Ignition Switch is Off, But Some Things Stay On

Having a problem with the ignition switch on my 2009 Fleetwood Revolution, on a Spartan chassis. It will shut down all right, but at times certain things will stay on, such as the power to blower fan, GPS, and other electrical items. How would I verify, that it is the switch?

Hi Howard, Welcome to FMCA!

The items you mentioned that stayed power up at times sound like items that would also power up in the ACC position on the ignition key.

Could you verify if that is the way it works or not?

Rich

Thanks for getting me on the right track. First-time user, as you can see. The problem that I'm having is a little frustrating.

The ignition stays powered up after you pull the key out. It does it almost all of the time. The diesel engine will shut down with no problem, but the GPS, blower fan, wipers and, at times, the cruise control will not function. And "yes" to the answer to your question.

About the ACC position on the ignition key runs those accessories, not to mention that my slides are powered up also ... not a good situation.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Howard,

Two things can cause items powered by the key in the ON position to stay on with the key off.

1. First suspect is the IGNITION SOLENOID. Find it. It is "turned on/off" by receiving 12 VDC positive from the ignition switch. If the points are burned, they can hang up and keep those circuits hot, even if the signal from the ignition switch is turned off.

Find it. Tap on it when you are experiencing the symptoms with the plastic handle of a screwdriver-- sharp, LIGHT rap. That may free up stuck points (temporarily)-- if this works, replace it.

You can also check it electrically with a digital voltmeter (under $10). You should have 12 VDC positive to one of the large lugs all the time (from chassis battery). The other large lug should ONLY have power when the small signal wire from the ignition switch has 12 VDC positive. If both large lugs have power all the time, even if you have the key off and remove the small signal wire, the solenoid is bad.

2. If, however, that small signal wire has power (12 VDC positive) all the time, you have a problem in the ignition switch or wiring. In other words, it is telling the ignition solenoid to stay HOT (both large lugs with power) all the time.

Brett

Good Morning Howard,

Been looking over some wiring information on Spartan Chassis, regarding the ignition switch wiring.

Looks like you should see 4 wires at the switch. listed the colors that appear to be used in a number of there ignition wiring at the key switch.

Power pin # 1 color Red-- always has power

ACC pin # 4 color Pink-- should only have power in ACC position

Ignition pin # 5 color Yellow-- Should have power when run, power to engine.

Start pin #6 color Pink-- Should have power in the start position only.

Also, your coach might have a separate switch to power some of the ACC circuits mounted somewhere. This turns on a relay to power these items with out using to key switch.

Hope this helps. Rich.