Sign in to follow this  
ceptap

Had Motorhome Weighed; Now What?

We own a 2003 Monaco Monarch SE. Today we took it to have it weighed (this is a new rig to us). We wanted to make sure we were running correct tires and correct pressure in tires.

Here are the figures we received, in pounds:

left side - front axle 4160, rear axle 7420
right side - front axle 3620, rear axle 6620
total front axle weight - 7780
total rear axle weight - 14040
combined axle weight left side - 11,580
combined axle weight right side - 21820 (note from moderator. Actual total here is 10,240)

Then it says my coach is heavy on which side? Left side. By how much? 1340 lbs.
Is at least 1/3 of the total weight of my coach on the front axle? yes

So now we have this data and are clueless what to do with it. We were told to run tire pressure of 100 in each tire in the front and 95 in each in the rear.

What concerns us is being overweight. Is that what that really means? by 1,340 lbs? Wow! This floor plan has both slides on that left side, plus the kitchen is on that left side.

We have looked for the weight tag in this coach but can't locate it. Does anyone know where to look for it so we can see what the actual weight was at manufacture date?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Charles

Hello Charles,

Calculating the axle weight as you have described, combined axle weight on right side is not 21820, it is 10240. The total gross weight is 21820. This all sounds pretty good. You did net describe whether this coach is gas front engine, or diesel pusher.

If it is a gas, as I looked up monarch se, a 2014 model, it appears that that one is, the weight on that coach is 18,500 at time of manufacture. This weight should with no fuel, no water in the holding tanks, and no camping gear as you probably have, also no passengers. Add all of these weights, it will easily add 3000 lbs. If it is gas front engine, the weight on the front end sounds accurate. You have at two slides on the left side, this would account for the additional weight on left side. No more than that much weight an left side should not be an issue, as manufacturers have taken these weights into consideration, and actually plan for a little extra weight on the left side due to the natural crown of the road. A quick look at the tires, you will find the correct pressure for your tires on the tires. Everything being said, A trip to a reputable tire store, ask for a tire inspection, they can steer you to the correct size. Also please be aware that your absolute worst enemy on any vehicle, especially a motorhome, is dry rot in your tires. Most motorhomes are not driven enough to wear out these heavy duty tires, so please don't think that tread wear is the only thing to worry about when assessing your tire. If you just recently acquired your coach, and don't know tire history, then drive to a tire dealer and have them assessed. They can find date of manufacture and inform about this issue. You are wise to be inquisitive about tires, this could save lives, especially your family's. Hope I haven't been too long in my response, and hope questions have been answered reasonably. I googled your coach and was not able too find where your data is located, I'm sure another FMCA member will answer that for you.

Welcome to the forum, and happy motoring.
Happy Trails,
Kay

...A quick look at the tires, you will find the correct pressure for your tires on the tires.

Nope - a look at the tires will reveal the correct pressure for those tires IF THEY ARE CARRYING THEIR MAXIMUM LOAD. To find the correct pressure for the tires based on the actual load they are carrying you need to find the Load and Inflation Tables for the tires on your rig.

For instance, if you have Michelin XRV tires in size 235/80R22.5 your correct inflation will be actually 95 psi for the front and 90 psi for the rear tires according to the chart at http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/load-inflation-tables.jsp - what you will see on the sidewall of the tire is a statement that it needs to be inflated to 110 psi to carry its maximun weight of 4675 lbs in a single configuration, or 4410 lbs in a dual configuration.

I hope I am in the correct forum.

We own a 2003 Monaco Monarch SE. Today we took it to have it weighed (this is a new rig to us). We wanted to make sure we were running correct tires and correct pressure in tires.

Here are the figures we received: in lbs

total front axle weight - 7780

total rear axle weight - 14040

combined axle weight left side - 11,580

combined axle weight right side - 21820

Then it says...my coach is heavy on which side? left side By how much? 1340 lbs.

Is at least 1/3 of the total weight of my coach on the front axle? yes

So now we have this data and are clueless what to do with it. We were told to run tire pressure of 100 in each tire in the front and 95 in each in the rear.

What concerns us is being overweight? Is that what that really means? by 1340 lbs? Wow! This floor plan has both slides on that left side, plus the kitchen is on that left side.

We have looked for the weight tag in this coach but can't locate it, does anyone know where to look for it so we can see what the actual weight was at manufacture date?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Charles

Charles,

I don't know where your weight tag might be but mine was behind the step well cover in front of the passenger seat. Our previous coach the label was on the back wall in the bedroom closet. Below are some links that might help you. One is for the 2003 Monarch SE brochure. It will give you specs for various models. The other is a 4 point weight addendum from Monaco website.

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFiles/monaco/manualaddendums/2003/4pt_weight.pdf

http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFiles/monaco/brochures/2003/03Monarchse.pdf

My '07 Monaco product has weight info on sidewall behind driver seat and on inside of medicine cabinet in bath. it too is right about 1000 ibs heaver on one side but mine is on right side based on floor plan. Right side has refrig and washer/dryer and tends to be loaded with more stuff in basement.

Charles,

I went back to your first post and put in the correct right side weight.

You need three pieces of information for us to be able to help you:

What chassis do you have-- basically is it leaf spring or air suspension?

Looking at the GVWR tag, what are your Front axle GAWR, Rear axle GAWR and Total GVWR? It is likely near the driver's area.

What tires do you have-- brand and size?

Thank you Kay, Brett, Alan,John and Leary!

We will work to switch some items from the left side storage to the right side to adjust as much as we can. But we are still under the maximum weight fully loaded so we are fine.

Thanks on the correction on the weight, the error was mine on input. You made it read exactly as the weight slip stated.

We are a workhorse chassis, gas engine. I have to remember to put that in any notes.

Thanks John for the location of the weight info in the coach. Finding it really helped pull it all together.

And the weight info links are very helpful!

We are good now, thank you everyone for the assist!

Charles

Charles,

When you get this information, you might post it:

Looking at the GVWR tag, what are your Front axle GAWR, Rear axle GAWR and Total GVWR? It is likely near the driver's area.

What tires do you have-- brand and size?

Charles, You said

I know you said you were going to move stuff around but working with the original weights lets see what the next step would be.

I want to provide this detail to help any readers that are not 100% clear on the process.

Lets use the tires that Alan & Sandy mentioned XRV tires in size 235/80R22.5

When selecting MINIMUM inflation pressure we use the heavier end of an axle so that means 4160 for the Front and 7420 for the rear

Looking at the Michelin Load & Inflation tables for RV application we find that 95 psi is needed to meet the requirement for the front tires and 90psi for the rear tires. I also reccoment adding 5 psi to this number so you aren't chasing your tail with adding a psi or 2 every couple of days as ambient temperature changes. So this is how Andy & Sandy arrived at their numbers.

NOTE If you change the loading on the tires or the tire size is not as we have shown, then you need to make appropriate changes and recalculate.

Also if you run a brand other than Michelin you should use that companies Load & Inflation tables as sometimes Michelin is different by 5 psi or so.

While Charles was able to get the individual corner loads not everyone can find a scale to provide that information.

There are a number of worksheets out there. The math is the same so any worksheet will do.

You can check pg 5 or 6 of the worksheet available for download HERE

THIS web site is focused on 5th wheel RVs but has good info and links to weighing RVs and how to find a scale.

THIS post on my blog explaines why it is important to know the actual individual corner loads for your personal RV.

Remember that just because your buddy has the same make, model and year RV you do doesn't means the tire loads are identical. Afterall you and he probably don't carry your bowling ball collections in the same place in your RVs.

How many bowling balls do you think one can load into a 40 ft. DP.

I only have 2, but if I ever get carried away! Nah, Now when it come to tools, traveling with a Quilter and my fishing gear, That could be a problem. :D

Rich.