bobmoore1954

Can I tow 2007 Honda Element AWD Manual Transmission

We are considering the purchase of a motorhome, so we're newbee's. I wonder if I can tow our 2007 Honda Element. It's a manual transmission all wheel drive vehicle.

Would I need a braking system, I think the vehicle weighs about 3,500 pounds. Also any recommendation on a tow bar and breaking system would be greatly appreciated.

I spoke to a Honda service guy yesterday about flat towing my 2007 Manual Transmission AWD Element. He suggested I remove the drive shaft. It would essential make the car a FWD vehicle. Not doing so, he said, would likely damage my rear tires because the rear axle would essential be locked. Does this make sense to anyone?

After 2005 model year the only Honda vehicle that Honda would cover under warranty for towing was the CR-V, then in 2007 they added the FIT. As to the Element, according to Honda it is not towable four down. BUT, it shares the drivetrain with the CR-V and they are towable. So, it's up to you since any damage would not be covered under warranty (which is gone by now anyway due to age).

Our '05 Ody was supposed to be towable, got it in writing from Honda that it was, then in early '06 Honda said it wasn't. They paid use $2,200 for the towing gear we bought (RoadMaster BTW) and we got a KK-460 dolly. Now I've gone back to towing four down. Your AWD Element is NOT towable on a dolly unless you remove the driveshaft but is probably towable four down with no problems.

Is anybody Dolly Towing a 2008 Honda Element SC?  I see the procedure for flat towing, would the same procedure apply for dolly towing??

1 hour ago, rigosmom said:

Is anybody Dolly Towing a 2008 Honda Element SC?  I see the procedure for flat towing, would the same procedure apply for dolly towing??

Welcome to the forum. What does your owner's manual say? I have a all wheel auto drive CR-V I can tow it 4 down but not on a dolly. Is your Element an auto / all wheel drive?

Looking at the FMCA towing guide and Remco it showess it can't be towed 4 down.

Bill

On 8/15/2017 at 1:19 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

... What does your owner's manual say?...

That's the bottom line, don't listen to a service manager,  don't listen to a Honda salesman, don't listen to Honda Corp, don't listen to some guy trying to sell you a towing system, and this is a good forum, but you get what you pay for.  The only place you will get 100% correct information is in that manual.