Sign in to follow this  
djbreithaupt

1998 Overland Lorado Air Brakes Filter

Does anybody have experience changing the air dryer desiccant cartridge on a Freightliner chasis? My 1998 Overland Lorado has not had this replaced since I've owned it (4 years) and I'm not sure it has ever been replaced. I learned about it at a rally and the Freightliner rep said it looked difficult to change and suggested disconnecting the air line and removing the bracket. My filter is located above the transmission on a rail and I can not see how to access from the bottom or the engine compartment. I've been pondering this for about a year and I'm thinking about cutting a hole in the bedroom floor to reach it from the top, but that seems extreme. Overland has been out of business for 10 years so it is impossible to get any maintenance support.

I thought there was an owners group for Overland on the FMCA site but I can't find one using the search tool.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

djbreithaupt,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, the placement of your air dryer makes servicing very difficult-- same for all of that vintage's Freightliner chassis.

You have two choices-- replace with a FACTORY (not aftermarket) REMAN DRYER, or get the rebuild kit that has filter's in it. I would not consider cutting a hole in the bottom of the coach.

Brett

djbreithaupt,

You might want to contact Freightliner Factory Service.

http://freightlinerchassis.com/component/option,com_servicecenters/Itemid,64/bl,00/so,FCSC/view,servicecenter/

I do not know where you live, but they work on all there chassis and would be a good starting point for information and service.

You will need to have the last 6 numbers / letter of your VIN. number.

Rich.

What part of the transmission is it over. I would think with a little disassembly of different pieces you should be able to get it out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have found some helpful info on line when I search for How to Change a Haldex Air Filter, including posts by Brett Wolfe. My filter assembly looks to be welded onto the rail, I can see slots for bolts but no bolts. However, it looks like the assembly can be removed using the band clamp but I'm not sure. Clearance is about 0.75 inches above the filter to the coach floor.

I was thinking about driving to Freightliner in SC for service and going to Camp Freightliner but the classes are all full for 2013. After seeing pictures of some other filters, I'm now concerned I might find the whole dryer base needs replacement.

First diesel I've ever owned and this has been a learning experience. The maintenance never seems to end. I'm the fourth owner and suspect the maintenance has been lax, I'm guilty of only doing oil, oil filter, antifreeze, lube and fuel filters the first 3 years I owned the coach and I'm now catching up on maintenance I learned about at rally's. Seems like a lot of work for a vehicle that only goes 6 to 8 thousand miles per year.

I may end up taking the coach to the local truck mechanic but I don't think they do much work on motorhomes, not many motorhomes around the Boston area. The alternative may be to wait until we get to Tucson this winter and get the work done there, but then we don't have a place to stay if it takes more than a day.

I bought the filter kit over a year ago at the Phoenix Good Sam Rally and have thought about starting this numerous times and then get cold feet. I think this is the last maintenance item item I need to perform to get caught up.

Thanks.